mesquite mystique

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've been here a couple of months and have read many things. Some folks say mesquite is harsh and others say it is mild. What gives?
The preponderance of evidence suggests it burns hot, has a strong flavor, and is suitable for a few meats. Yet some use it for everything.
Aaahhhhhhhh! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Thank you.

It has to do with Texan bloodlines, the closer the tie the more they need the mesquite. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

I use Mesquite, my palate prefers it.

I don't understand why it has a "junk wood" and/or "bottom feeder" reputation.

I've tried hickory and pecan, and still prefer mesquite.

In my offset, I let it burn down past the white smoke phase, then send the cleaner smoke through the cooking chamber. If the white smoke is sent through, a over-smoked taste will result.

This is not for competition, it is for my "backyard" events. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Gary K

Okay, I gotta call it.
Party Foul!
Jim responds, Gary replies, and Bob clips him from behind.
Time out.
Texas is the 2nd state closest to my heart. My dad was from Texas. I have enough kin there to Fill an entire state park for a reunion. I got a cousin that has one of those "pull behind your 4wd cookers".
Is it really a regional preferance? C'mon, be honest. Here in the great northwest we like our fruitwoods and we love our alder (we do have salmon in our blood afterall), so I could understand it being geographic in nature.
But then again, I've never heard of dissing the woods we prefer here.
Show me the money.
And Gary, what's with the white smoke vs clear smoke; and competition vs backyard?

Well,
Some of us here in the southeast prefer our hickory wood for smokin'. Of course, that may be in part due to how well it works on pork. As a matter of fact, I'm using some hickory wood at this very moment to smoke a nice pork butt.
Regional preferences probably come from folks using what's available locally. I don't have any Mesquite growing near me, but if I was in the fine state of Texas, I probably would and I would probably like it! I may have to use some in the near future (probably on a big ole hunk of beef).

Wayne

Mesquite lump charcoal burns clean, as most charcoals do. Green mesquite logs would be very overpowering. I use Lazzari mesquite (sponsor) all the time and it burns very clean.
Frank

Bob J wrote:

> And Gary, what's with the white smoke vs clear smoke; and competition vs backyard?

Bob,

White smoke vs clear smoke: My way of saying "dirtier smoke vs cleaner smoke". I am pointing at the possibility that folks may send "dirtier" mesquite smoke through the cooking chamber (thus to the food), get an over-smoked taste, then think poorly of mesquite from that point onward.

Competition vs backyard: Competition is a whole different discussion. I am a hobbiest only. For competition purposes, I would think one would use whatever wood type that gets the awards.

-Gary K

Okay, I'm born and raised in Texas. The reason we use so much mesquite is because there is so damn much of it here. It's basically a weed. It'll grow anywhere with practically no water at all. I've seen mesquite trees growing out of rocks in central Texas. I personally don't like the taste of mesquite on anything but steaks. It's just to strong and bitter tasting to use for long smoking. I would never use it in the WSM unless I was cooking steaks quick and hot.

I think of mesquite quite a bit like I think of cilantro. In combination with certain other ingredients, in certain dishes, it's indispensible. But, in and of itself, it can be downright nasty, and even just a little is often way too much.

In Manitoba, Canada there are some of us that use poplar, which is like a weed and there is so much of it (something like mesqite in Texas). Dry poplar gives a beautiful taste to just about all meats.

Jim, I always thought Poplar was a soft wood and therefore not good for smoking. Am I mistaken about the tree or the soft wood theory?

Hi Bob. No up here in Canada the poplar is a deciduous tree, that is it looses its leaves in the fall and therefore comes under the hardwood classification. I know people that cut it into lumber and after it is air dried for a year it is just about impossible to drive a nail through it. It is also used quite extensively in the making of furniture (frames). If you have seen Palliser brand furniture where you live, they use poplar for couch frames etc. Sorry I got so long winded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back