Mesquite charcoal

Breton Munns

New q'er here. Smoked some ribs a few weeks back with mesquite briquets and hickory chips. I realize many feel mesquite is too strong for ribs, but I really liked how they came out. My question is will using mesquite lump charcoal give similar results to the mesquite briquets with hickory chunks for the smoke.

Thanks in advance.

Haven't tried mesquite briquettes, but converted to mesquite lump over the summer as my primary charcoal. The smoke from the lump is very light, much less than from the "natural" briquettes (Rancher/TJ) that I have for backup, which in turn much less smokey than blue bag K. I think you'll find lump (and briquettes) in general less smokey than smoke wood itself. I would love to find/try other lump in my area at the price of mesquite lump, but haven't yet.

I'm not sure where this bias against mesquite comes from. I think mesquite and beef are a match made in heaven, and I'm not even from Texas!

Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:
I'm not sure where this bias against mesquite comes from. I think mesquite and beef are a match made in heaven, and I'm not even from Texas!

I agree, mesquite goes very well with beef...but it should be used sparingly when smoking...in my opinion. The lump should not be as strong as with using the unburned wood.

Weldon

I have used Lazarri Mesquite lump and I find that it alone does not give enough smoke flavor for me so when using Lazarri I will added mesquite wood chunks to the fuel. A couple of chunks should do it unless you Really like your Mesquite then maybe a 3rd chunk.

Thanks for all your replies. I have the ribs rubbed and my sause made. I will be burning mesquite lump charcoal with hickory chunks and perhaps apple for smoke. Hoping for success tomorrow.

Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:

it comes from being a poor choice as source of heat as in using just mesquite wood to fuel offset smokers. when used in that fashion it is extremely strong and overpowering. it tends to make meat taste like road tar when it is the sole source of fuel for long smokes.

when used as a smoke wood and kept to a minimum as in chips or a chunk or two for adding smoke flavour its fine. if your ever in austin texas and want to know why its a bad fuel source go to a joint called the "green mesquite" if it is still around that is. it is possibly the worst bbq joint in the united states. they claim to cook solely using mesquite. that was around 25 years ago. not sure if they are still in business.

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:

it comes from being a poor choice as source of heat as in using just mesquite wood to fuel offset smokers. when used in that fashion it is extremely strong and overpowering. it tends to make meat taste like road tar when it is the sole source of fuel for long smokes.

when used as a smoke wood and kept to a minimum as in chips or a chunk or two for adding smoke flavour its fine. if your ever in austin texas and want to know why its a bad fuel source go to a joint called the "green mesquite" if it is still around that is. it is possibly the worst bbq joint in the united states. they claim to cook solely using mesquite. that was around 25 years ago. not sure if they are still in business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am pretty sure Green Mesquite is still around as I saw it featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives recently (unless that was an old episode).

Green Mesquite was on Triple D a few weeks back. When I hung around Austin I ate my bbq at Rudy's....Now it's a lifetime addiction.

Originally posted by Breton Munns:
New q'er here. Smoked some ribs a few weeks back with mesquite briquets and hickory chips. I realize many feel mesquite is too strong for ribs, but I really liked how they came out. My question is will using mesquite lump charcoal give similar results to the mesquite briquets with hickory chunks for the smoke.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Breton.
Out here in So Cal it's everywhere! Since we have a heavy Latino population and were pretty close to Mexico where 99% of it comes from. We can get 40 lb bags at our local Smart and Final for $15. I like California Hot Wood the best. My local Albertson's Supermarket carries the 20 lb bag for $8. The flavor is milder and less sparks. I like to cut the bag open break down the logs and large chunks to uniform sizes and transfer them to a big plastic basin. I use it for almost everything. I do agree that combined with hickory wood chunks it is way too Smokey for ribs. However Mesquite and one chunk of Oak is a great combo for some spares. Many fine restaurants also use it for grilling. I do prefer Royal Oak Lump or Kingsford briquettes with Hickory for Shoulder. It gives it a sweeter flavor than the Mesquite. Not sure what part of the nation you are in but if you get a chance, try CA Hot Wood. As far as the hickory or mesquite infused Kingsford, I can't tell the difference. To me it’s a gimmick for the average jo who grills on the 4th.

http://www.hotwood.com/products.php

I love mesquite on beef, and beef only, just my prefference. Lazzari mesquite lump is great stuff, wish I could get it here, verses having it shipped in.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I love mesquite on beef, and beef only, just my prefference. Lazzari mesquite lump is great stuff, wish I could get it here, verses having it shipped in.
I agree with Bryan. Mesquite on Beef only. I can get all the lazarri I want by going to my OSH 2 blocks from home. Or I can go the the Lazarri factory in San Francisco approximately 100 miles from home-But if I want Wicked Good lump I have to order it and pay thru the nose. Just goes to show you how regional some items are.

Well my ribs turned out awesome. My wife and kids were bummed though because all the guys at work ate them all and there were no leftovers.

Originally posted by Breton Munns:
Well my ribs turned out awesome. My wife and kids were bummed though because all the guys at work ate them all and there were no leftovers.
The first rule of BBQ-Always put some aside for you and yours BEFORE you put them out for others
icon_smile.gif

I've seen the mesquite briquettes in the stores; I just thought they were a gimmick. Do they really add mesquite smoke flavor when used?

Back