Merry Christmas to all!

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
Anyone have a traditional smoke they do every year? Let me hear about it! We always cook a turkey Christmas eve, but this year it's going in the WSM. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Don't know about Christmas or Christmas eve yet. However, I'm cooking 12 to 15 pounds of pork butts for a work Christmas party. I'm thinking of making a traditional pulled pork butt and trying to do something different with the second. Maybe mojo pork?

Colin
Mojo is a Cuban style pork, sour orange juice is one of the main ingredients.
here is a recipe that would be easy to put together:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup chopped onions
3 Tbs chopped oregano
2 Tbs chopped cilantro
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oraange zest
1 tsp lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste

used as a marinade for the pork.

Jim

Alternatively, you can check the international foods section of your supermarket for Mojo Criollo-- I prefer the Goya brand-- and have a ready-made marinade.

I do a tropical/Caribbean/Florida sort of thing at Christmas with a flavor-brined fresh ham, yuca, often with mojo, something with plantains, shrimp and malanga fritters with pineapple salsa, spicy greens--that sort of thing. I always make calabaza soup as a starter.

Christmas Eve is an app-only potluck that I do 4 or 5 things for--plantain chips or tostones with a topping or two, grilled tri-tip slices on garlic- and tomato-rubbed toast, filo meat or veg pastries and my newest tradition--small servings of duck and andouille gumbo.

Several years ago I decided to keep Thanksgiving traditional in terms of food served but start a new tradition with Christmas Day food. It's been a hit with my family and guests so there it is.

I have 6 12 lb. turkeys in the freezer that I will brine and smoke around Xmas. I usually give some as prezzies and keep one back for us. I cut them in half and vacuum seal. Also will smoke some(4) ducks for gumbo and confit. The weather here gets right for smoking in Dec. It's crazy usually. It was 84 yesterday but dropping to the high 30s by morning. Thermal shock!!!

Back