Mequite question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Lax

TVWBB Super Fan
When doing a brisket how many chunks of Mesquite would one use? Being from TN this mesquite thing perplexes me. Would you cut it with a wood like Pecan or Oak? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mesquite can be overpowering. To be on the safe side use 2 fist sized pieces of mesquite and 2 of Pecan. IMO Pecan is the best. If you like that combo then the next time you can adust up or down according to your taste and preference. What i like you might not like and vice versa. Any way Good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Why would you want to use Mesquite on Brisket? I think it is fine for grilling and makes some good cheap lump but I'd never use it as a smoking wood. Pecan and Oak and maybe a little Hickory are wonderful with Beef.
Just my $0.02 carry on /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with Konrad, I've always found Mesquite to be bitter when used as a smoke wood. There are people that swear by it. Give it a try and decide for yourself, but I would heed Bryans advice and start with the less is more theory.

Good luck.

If you enjoy strong smoke flavors mesquite can and is used by many, but a little goes a long ways, I'm not sure I would use two fist size chunks.
Jim

Like many Southwesterners, I frequently use mesquite to smoke flavor meats. The trick is not to use too much.
Since mesquite is such an assertive wood, I definitely would not mix it with another.
When I use mesquite, I prefer to use it on its own. For a brisket, I'd use 1 4x4x2 inch piece or 2 2x2x2 inch pieces.
As you can probably tell from earlier posts, it's very easy to overdo mesquite, but it has a unique flavor that blends well with beef.

No disrespect I just have to wonder if Mesquite would be as popular if it was a rare and expensive hard wood rather than a weed free for taking in most of the Southwest?

Dave Klose has a warning on his website about green Mesquite being evil and the smell can not be removed even by sand blasting /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

No disrespect taken. Mesquite is a very assertive wood. I wouldn't recommend it except in minimal quantities.
I believe one "chunk" is plenty for a brisket.
Barbecue in most of the Southwest often means mesquite, but it is mainly beef country.

Well thanks for all the advice and info gents!
(I think I may change my display name to Pandora! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back