Memphis-style Tangy and Spicy BBQ Sauce

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I was pondering what to do with about a pound and a half of a Costco rotisserie chicken and thought: BBQ sauce! Maybe not real original, but very tempting. The first Memphis sauce I found sounded good so "Why not"?

But even un-tasted it could be made better, right? So here's my modified version for my chopped chicken bbq.

Ingredients
• 1 cup ketchup
• ½ cup apple cider vinegar
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
or dried chopped onion*
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- splash (6-8 drops) Scorpion pepper sauce
or other habanero sauce*
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder*
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder*
• ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt

SImmer 10 minutes or heat on Hi in microwave* one minute and stir. Repeat heat and stir and then let stand 10 minutes.

* my changes

I mixed a goòd portion of the sauce into the cold chopped chicken and nuked 1 1/2 minutes on High. Also marinated a couple of wings from a Whole Foods bird (don't know why Sheila doesn't like the wings?) in the sauce before heating on the grill with some tater crowns and my tuna poppers posted previously. The chopped chicken bbq with split Mt Olive baby dill on grilled potato roll won hands down!
20230808_191025.jpg

Does stuffed peppers make it to the plate weekly?
I'm not even upset I just see them a lot and I think you said the MRS doesn't do well with meat if I remember right.
Food looks good......this site is going to add me some pounds I think...I just cannot stop.

@Joan I agree my version would not be for you, but the original version should be fine and it's real simple and easy. Mine was splendiferous and the original seems much like I loved at Red, Hot and Blue years ago.

@Darryl - swazies Yes, stuffed jalapenos are at least once a week for me. Unfortunately, Sheila has multiple other culinary limitations besides the alpha-gal including heat (like our friend Joan). We typically eat differently and she seldom will let me cook for her though she claims to like what I fix accomodating her requirements. So she eats vegan frozen and other pre-prepared items that don-t interest me. Maybe a couple tmes a month I can fix something for both (like two varieties of wings) but she even must have a separate Q grill. Again, what I fix she does like. Who knows?

Also, I agree -- being a member of TVWB has its hazards. Good ones, but...

Thanks anyway Rich, you know me, I have more recipes for BBQ sauce then I will ever be able to use.. 🥰

I just am amazed how you guys can stand to eat the hot stuff. 😓 :giggle:

I do understand. I got hooked on NC bbq after living here for years but, before that all I knew was Texas style. Much later, I found Memphis bbq, but lost the restaurants over the years and NC stepped in heavy. This particular sauce has really attracted me so, though you may never try it, I'm still happy to offer it up.

if you like pho soup, i use leftover roto bird as the ingredients here:

debone the bird and use the carcus to help make the simple stock.

Back