Memorial Day BBQ - How much to cook?

Marty

This Memorial Day will mark the first time that I will use the WSM to cook for people other than my family. I cooked some spares a few weeks ago and they came out really well. I was hoping to show off my new BBQ'ing talent, and cook a bunch of racks of spares for some friends that are coming over. There will be 15 people (at most), about 10 of those being guys with decent appetites.

I've never cooked for a group before on the WSM, so I don't know how many racks I should get. When I cooked them before, I ate one slab by myself pretty easily. I know my limit on the WSM for racks of spares is around 9-10. Should I buy 10 racks of spares and hope that's enough for everyone? Or should I only buy 5-6 racks and cook something else? What else would I cook?

Thanks in advance for the help!

So that you don't make yourself nuts with amounts and timing you could do a couple butts ahead of time, rest, pull, cool, then pack for the fridge. This you can reheat easily the last hour of your rib cook (or a little sooner). With sides, you'll have plenty of food. 6-8 racks of spares fit without problems and that's what I'd get--probably 6--which would be 18 servings of 1/3 racks each. Plenty.

Cook up some pork butts for a pulled pork "main course". Whet their appetites with about three slabs of ribs done in enough time to be appetizers or munchies.

Either cook the butts in advance and reheat, or cook so they're resting and when your ready to eat make a "show" out of pulling them.

When the butts are close to done, put on some tomatoes, onions & jalapenos and let them cook till soft. Put them in a blender with a little cilantro & lime juice and blend until chunky or your desired consistency. Chips & salsa are a good starter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
When the butts are close to done, put on some tomatoes, onions & jalapenos and let them cook till soft. Put them in a blender with a little cilantro & lime juice and blend until chunky or your desired consistency. Chips & salsa are a good starter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like a phenominal idea. How long does it usually take at 225 to get the desired "softness?"

Also, when you guys reheat pork, what is your usual process? I assume oven at 350 for 10 mins. or so?

Here is a tip to help control rib portions, from "Real Grilling" I believe.

Cut the finished ribs into individual bone sections. Put the sections in a large bowl at the end of your buffet line. By the time everyone in line gets to the ribs, their plates will be already full. They should be inclined to take only 2 or 3 pieces.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bradley Bruns:
Here is a tip to help control rib portions, from "Real Grilling" I believe.

Cut the finished ribs into individual bone sections. Put the sections in a large bowl at the end of your buffet line. By the time everyone in line gets to the ribs, their plates will be already full. They should be inclined to take only 2 or 3 pieces. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like that idea.

thanks for all of the other ideas as well! i think i'll cook pork butts from saturday to sunday, then cook the ribs on monday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_M:
This sounds like a phenominal idea. How long does it usually take at 225 to get the desired "softness?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I cheat and I've only done it on an offset. I cheat by putting it all next to the firebox, on a WSM I would imagine it might be the equivilent of having everything around the edges of the top grate. My guess is less than an hour but that's just a guess. My take on this salsa is to char and soften the toms jalapenos (or serranos if you can get them), get a good char and slight softening on the onion. The onions always take longer but you can half or quarter them to speed things up. I forgot the garlic! I wouldn't roast the garlic just dice it and put it in with everything else in the blender.

I'd bet Kevin has a better recipe, maybe he'll share? Please? Subbing habaneros for the serranos & adding papaya? mango? softening either on the smoker first?

Thanks Jim, that sounds phenominal.

I've been trying to work on my finger food/appetizer cooking, because in the past i've usually just focused on the main course. Now I'm looking to add to my repitoire.

Usually, Jim, I just drop the grate down to the coal level after the meat is removed and then char directly. This means the vegs char rather quickly and so retain interior firmness. Then I just chop by hand for salsa.

Sometimes, though, when I'm looking to make more of a pureed salsa, I do place the vegs in the cooker while the meat is still on, as you suggest. This gives the vegs time, which means they'll soften--good for chunky or smooth purees.

Jals, serranos or habs all work. I tend to char/cook jals and serranos but not the habs which preserves more of their fruity heat. A blend of peppers is nice. For milder tastes, charring Anaheims or banana peppers works well.

The garlic I usually add fresh.

I like a little lime juice in these sorts of salsas as well as a little oil (usually evoo). Oil will soften the acidity and will pick up those flavors that are fat soluble, making the salsa more flavorful overall. You don't need much.

If you are looking for a finish that is not smooth then consider removing some, most or all of the skins from the tomatoes or peppers. If charred or cooked through, they can often end up feeling like, well, dried veg skins in the mouth. You can remove them without sacrificing flavor before pureeing. If going for a smooth puree, however, you can remove them or leave them on, your choice.

Fruits can be finely chopped and added to the salsa after you puree it, or can be pureed in. I tend to do the former, especially with mango or pineapple, because I prefer the texture and color of it in the salsa when it is only finely chopped. Mango I tend to use as is; pineapple either as is or I might grill it first, quickly and direct. Neither I am looking to 'soften' per se.

Cilantro, freshly minced just before use, is a nice addition after the salsa is finished. Its flavor can become dominant so be sparing at first. Not everyone likes cilantro so up to you.

I will sometimes also add thinly sliced scallions before serving, especially if I've made a puree, along with the cilantro (if using) and the finely chopped fruit. This adds some texture and visual appeal as well.

A little cumin can be nice, especially if using lime juice (it works well with other citrus too)--best, to me, if a somewhat background spice. Oil carries its flavor so be sparing and let the oil do its thing.

Salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar if needed to boost the tomatoes' sweetness and you're good to go.

Kevin, thanks I'm printing this out as we speak. If you ever write a book I'll be first in line to buy it. You pack more information in one post than most books can in one chapter.

Back