MEMORIAL DAY BARBECUE - DISCUSSION / ADVICE

David Verba

TVWBB Fan
Heaps of respect to everyone who have helped with all the questions I've had over the past 9 months I've been frequenting (several times daily) this site. So much great information & advice!

So this is the first time I'm cooking for >35 people....

My BBQ is going to be an addition to the food, I'm usually the mix master for margaritas, mojitos, Caipirinha's, etc. The real stuff, not from mixes. That's usually my contribution...

This year I'm giving the greatest gift of all REAL BBQ.

The menu in addition to all the sides everyone is going to bring and your standard hamburgers and hot dogs.

6 Spare Ribs
3-4 Pork Butts
36 ABT's

I have two 18.5 WSM's...going to bring one to the party "site" and keep the other at home to do the butts.

I'm going to put the Pork Butts on about 9-10 pm the night before and wrap them in foil until it’s time to eat (4pm-ish)

Then I'm going to start the ribs at about 11-12 and cook around 300 using Kevin's advice from a previous THREAD...

What advice can you guys give? Like I said, never cooked for this many people...

I don't really want to use Regular K for the overnight cook, would like to use lump, but a little scared - I do have WGC & RO, what do you recommend I should do to avoid waking up in the middle of the night AND avoiding Regular K.

**Also, I imagine many folks are doing the memorial day cook off so any general advice use this thread for folks to read****

I personally like K for overnighters. But,I've heard that lump can be used for long cooks. Just pack it tight. Fill the ring 1/3 full shake and rotate to pack,then do again til full. Light using the MM,and you shouldn't have any problems. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
I personally like K for overnighters. But,I've heard that lump can be used for long cooks. Just pack it tight. Fill the ring 1/3 full shake and rotate to pack,then do again til full. Light using the MM,and you shouldn't have any problems. HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Phil - I was thinking of maybe using Rancher Briquettes or Royal Oak Briquettes, from what I gather, I can get longer cooks with more even temperatures?

Agreed. But use whatever you're most comfortable with.

Depending on butt sizes and cooktemps you might want to start somewhat earlier.

Enjoy your cook.

36 ABT's won't be enough. Make More.
I made 24 and 15 people ate them all, meaning the late arriver's didn't get any.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
36 ABT's won't be enough. Make More.
I made 24 and 15 people ate them all, meaning the late arriver's didn't get any. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hah! That'll teach 'em! You snooze, you lose!
icon_wink.gif

David, my recommendation would be to do the butts the day before then reheat the day of. No since wearing yourself out so that you don't enjoy the day.

i was thinking of doing the reheat thing - but I really want these folks to get the "full effect", I've reheated before using equal parts of beef and chicken broth with a little apple juice in a crock pot, came out with great reviews, but I could tell the difference, so I dunno..

the ABT's, yeah I want to do more than 36, but all I have is performer, cooking with indirect heat which essentially cuts off like 30% of my grill space, I don't know how to fit anymore. They are however like crack-cocaine! I brought some into work for a test run, and they were literally gone in a few short minutes. I saw someone Wolfe covering his coals with aluminum foil, then using the entire grill, i wonder i that would work to get more on there....

You may want to plan more time for the meat than you think you'll need. Wrapping in foil and towels and storing in a cooler will allow you to hold the meat for hours if necessary with no noticeable degradation.

9p.m. the night before is too late? Is this because he is doing three butts? He said he had two wsm's I was thinking he was doing the ribs on the other. Sorry to jump in but I'm planning 3 butts for a block party and was still only planning around 12hrs for 6 to 7lbers. Should I plan more time, also thinking of doing brisket or pulled beef at the same time, thanks, Ken

Ken,Carl hit it on the nose. Barbecue is not a science,it's an art. Sometimes a butt can take an hour and 45 minutes per pound to get tender,sometimes an hour 20. An hjour and a half per pound is just a guide line. It's better to have the food done early,than to have your guests hovering around,waiting for the entree.

yes, come to think of it, I've had 3 butts take something like 17 hours before. I'm going to start early and do the cooler/wrap. I've done this method before but only for a few hours. It may end up being more like 4 hours depending on cook times.

I guess I have been extremely lucky with my butts so far then. I get them at Costco, all around 7pounds. 225 degrees on built in lid thermometer on wsm18 and 1.5hrs per pound (foiling at 170ish) has been about right pulling at 200degrees, Ken

The point is, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. It's MUCH easier to hold your finished product for a few hours than it is to speed things up when you figure out "oops I'm not going to be ready on time".

I have quite a few butts under my belt and have always done overnighters until recently (because I'm unemployed and have the time during the day now). I just had a 7lb butt a couple of weeks ago finish in 8hrs, but I've had them take up to 14!

Back