Memorial Day 3-2-1 ribs

BGrigsby

I've had a WSM less than a year, and have dialed in my chicken recipes, and decided I needed to expand.

Basic baby back ribs, Worcesteshire and dry rub, a little sauce.

Halved the racks, used a rib rack. Kingsford Blue with a couple hickory chunks. Maybe an hour, hour and ten minutes at room temp.

Used two chimneys charcoal, lit one dumped on top of unlit in charcoal chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_8050.jpg
    IMG_8050.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
3 hours on the dot at 240-250. Here they are before saucing lightly and foiling.

Run was Bone Suckin' sauce rub and a little Holy Smokes from Meat Church. Sprayed once with apple juice two hours in.

They cooked very well and evenly. All three bottom vents were between 1/3 and 1/2 open. WSM kept temp beautifully for 6+ hours, more like 8 if including waste time at end.

Attachments

• IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Sauced with a mix of Bone Suckin' Sauce and a more mustard based Carolina-style, about 2 parts to one, foiled, opened vents up to get it between 260 and 270, and cooked for another hour and twenty minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_8053.jpg
    IMG_8053.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1
Took out of foil and finished for another ten minutes at around 265, for a total cook time of right around 4:45 and an internal temp of 200F.

My family and neighbors were wowed. Wanted to say thanks to the community here.

I'm a harsh critic, especially of myself, but these were damned good. 8.5-9/10

Pulled apart easily. Bones just slid out. Cooked evenly, sauce was tangy and not too sweet.

Two criticisms:

1: I should have finished them longer and gotten a little more caramelization

2: An occasional bite tasted like jerky. Not bad, but salty; especially in comparison to the core meat. I think I should probably add some honey and apple juice to the foil next time; instead of just saucing the meat.

Attachments

• IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8059.jpg
    IMG_8059.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8060.jpg
    IMG_8060.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 17
Looks great man, I use other Weber’s but I like what I see.
I try to aim for slight pull off the bone, it’s easy to go either way on that.
Makes me want to go baby’s on the weekend.

Back