Membrane Trouble

S. Fink

TVWBB Fan
I'm cooking up your standard 3 rack pack of baby backs from BJs. Membranes came off the 1st two racks no problem. However, I just couldn't get anything off the back of the 3rd. I tried all the recommended tricks, but no luck.

After a half an hour of frustration, and worry that I was going to maul the meat, I just rubbed it up as normal and thew it on the WSM.

What can I expect from the final product. Will it still be edible? Will I even be able to tell?

If the membrane is indeed on that third rack you will be able to easily remove it after they are done. In my opinion it's not going to make that much of a difference in the taste. It's just that some people don't like the membrane to come peeling off as you are trying to eat the ribs. When I first started with my WSM I cooked them all the time with the membranes on because I didn't know any better.

I ran into the same exact thing today. 2 membranes off as usual, one no dice. I too just left it there not wanting to mess up that rack. It was definitely on there too. Ken, you say it comes off easily when the ribs are done. I know it's not a big deal, but tell me, how can you tell which rack had the membrane left on after the ribs are done? Or is it just easy to tell and I'll see how easy when I pull the ribs off the smoker and bring them in?

i have found at BJ's that 1 or more of the racks in the BJ's pack are already skinned. the last batch i got a few weeks ago all three of them had the membrane off. you were most likely trying to pull of the 2nd membrane that you don't want off anywa as it would expose the bone

I should have marked the rack with the membrane left on so I could give that one to my wife's girlfriend who is eating at our house tonight. She talks too much anyway
icon_biggrin.gif
S Fink, maybe it's just a New England thing, that we stink at removing membranes. Thanks Tony, I'll keep an eye out for this in the future as I always get my ribs at BJ's. Never happened before today

When you try to tear the ribs apart the membrane will show itself if it is still on there and you should be able to peel it off pretty easily. You can try to remove it from the whole rack or wait until you cut the rack into however many bones per serving you like.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one running into this situation. If the membrane had indeed already been removed, I hope I didn't do too much damage to the 2nd layer.

The rack in question came out great. Didn't notice any membrane when the ribs were pulled apart. Guess it had already been removed.

Just when you think you've got this Q thing figured out, you get a curve ball tossed at you.

I doubt the membrane was taking off at BJs but you never know. You can usually tell because after its removed, the rib takes on this fuzzy look. Was it fuzzy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
I doubt the membrane was taking off at BJs but you never know. You can usually tell because after its removed, the rib takes on this fuzzy look. Was it fuzzy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Might not be fuzzy after being smashed against another rack for however long it was.

I get my ribs from BJ's too, but I've never had that happen. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I always buy my ribs from BJ's....and actually I noticed with my last cook that a couple racks did not have any trace of a membrane. I scratched my head at it for a couple minutes but I continued with my prepping and didn't think much of it after that.

...good to know I wasn't crazy, as this is the first time this has happened to me.
icon_razz.gif

i tired removing the membrane on baby backs once and it was a mess and a pain in the butt. ever since i just leave it on and cook away. i cooke em membrane down and you cant tell when they are done that its there. personally i dont see a reason to waste the effort removing it.

You can take your knife and make crossed slices across the back of the rack and You'll never know the membrane is there.

Paul

My 2 cents.

I get the ribs at my local Costco here in Fountain Valley (SoCal) and I always had the membrane on them. Around 8 months ago the butchers must have started to take them off themselves because I haven't seen one on since. I know what you mean though, it can be difficult to tell. Away to check is if you can't get that to peel off withough tearing easily then the membrane has been taken off. By the way, if any of you live near me, I can't say enough good things about the butcher department at this particular Costco. They have everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
i tired removing the membrane on baby backs once and it was a mess and a pain in the butt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It was probably the second membrane you were pulling on. I did that once.
icon_frown.gif

Back