mega salty BRITU fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
I cooked up 2 slabs of baby backs using the BRITU recipe per Chris' instructions. Everything went fine until I tasted them! You could salt the rim of a good margarita with these dudes.

I failed to notice that these were Hormel "Always Tender" ribs. I purchased them at Albertson's. They and all other so labeled Hormel pork cuts are pre injected with a very salty 8% solution for flavor and tenderizing and, no doubt super preserving qualities.

I'm very impressed with the WSM temp control but my rib cooking needs help. BTW, the Hormel's were really fatty too. Next time I'll try some non-Hormel product from Costco.

Bummer about the ribs. Where I live here in California, Albertson's sells John Morrell ribs that, like those Hormels, are injected "to enhance flavor and moisture". When buying "branded" ribs in Cryovac at supermarkets, one must read the fine print on the label to understand what you're really getting.

Non-injected ribs are found in better supermarkets, in butcher shops, and wholesale warehouse stores like Sam's and Costco. Sadly for us, though, the industry trend is toward more injected products, which probably taste better when baked or boiled/grilled, as many non-barbecuers do.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 07-16-2001).]

Thanks for the tip... I cooked up 2 whole slabs over the weekend, but I got these at Sam's... My first time to use BRITU I bought them Cryovac packed from Wal Mart, but didn't have the salt problem... I'm glad you mentioned this though so I can be on the lookout for this... I told my wife after eating the "perfect" baby backs Saturday that I was going to try some butt or spare ribs... She told me to stick with these, cause nothing could be any better !!! Sounds like I've got her "hooked" !!
Thanks,
Gary in Searcy, AR

The ribs I bought at Costco back a couple of weeks ago had a slight "hammy" flavor in the meatier parts of the ribs. After mentioning this on another forum I was advised about the solution that is sometimes used, so check out the packaging on the Cryovac packs you buy at Costco-that is unless you like that flavoring in your ribbers.
Question for the veterans...if you soak the ribs in plain water that have this solution in them will it deminish the saltyness....will it mess up the ribs?

Mark,

Your point is well taken. Costco carries different brands of ribs at its stores throughout the country, and even the same store may carry a number of brands throughout the year.

Regardless of the source of Cryovaced ribs, one should examine the packaging closely to see if the meat has been "enhanced". My understanding is that this information must be disclosed on the packaging.

Regards,
Chris

Another BRITU item to watch is the amount of rub you use. As Chris states in his instructions, you don't want to go real heavy on this method.

k

Here's a blurb I came across from a paper titled, "Understanding Today's Customers and Marketing to Their Needs; Industry Trends and Projections for the Future" presented at a seminar in Edison, NJ in 1999 by Gary C. Smith of Colorado State University and J. Brad Morgan of Oklahoma State University.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">In 1999, most pork packers are now offering "Enhanced Pork" products that have been pumped with solutions of sodium tripolyphosphate in water. Some packers pump product to gain 4% in weight; other packers offer products pumped to gain 7%, 10%, 12%, 15%, 18% or even more. Some packers use only phosphate; other packers use additional ingredients (e.g., sodium lactate) and flavorings. Experiences of retailers are that: (a) Consumers like "Enhanced Pork" because it is juicier and more tender, even when it is overcooked, and (b) Over-pumped products sustain excessive purge loss during retail display. At present, packers sell "Enhanced Pork" at a premium but it is expected that, in time, the cost will be less than that of conventional pork.</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(Further reading elsewhere on the Web indicates that "purge" is the liquid that accumulates in the bottom of the meat package, causing some retailers to remove and discard these products well before their shelf life expiration date, resulting in lost money for retailers and higher prices for consumers.)

Anyway, further evidence that "enhanced pork" is something we should all be on the lookout for when buying any fresh pork product.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the info, Chris. I have been running into this for over a year. I saw a sale for Hormel pork loin at $1.99 lb. When I opened it up it was wet and slimy. I read the package and saw that it had been "enhanced" with a 7% solution. Thanks but no thanks. I will only buy non enhanced products, no matter what the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back