Medium Ribs?

Sam S.

TVWBB Member
I just bought a rack of ribs labeled Medium Ribs. They are 99 cents a pound and were recommended by a friend that cooks them on his kettle. My question is what a Medium Rib.
The package says to boil for 3 hours to make the meat tender. I was thinking of doing a long smoke similar to a spare rib and foiling it. 4-2-1 - any thoughts, can't beat 99 cents/lbs and they look fairly appetizing

Wish I would have read it again before I posted.
They are Medium Pork Spare Ribs. They had regular spares for 2.79/lbs. They look similar to St. Louis Style.

Sam--

Perhaps in your area ribs have been large for so long (>4 lbs) that the meat guys figured they needed to label those 'medium'. What weight is the slab? <3.5s have been non-existant around here for quite some time. I'd keel over if I saw a small slab.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Sam--

Perhaps in your area ribs have been large for so long (>4 lbs) that the meat guys figured they needed to label those 'medium'. What weight is the slab? <3.5s have been non-existant around here for quite some time. I'd keel over if I saw a small slab. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The spares I have been getting of late are in a pack of 2, and they have been all over 11#'s. They are coming with a LOT of skirt meat. Ribs don't seem to much bigger, just that much skirt. I trim and save some of it, and do just that for a cook all on it's own.

I had some 5 and up spare ribs (which I am told means 5lbs and up) last week. There were large bones. So large that when I rolled them and put them on the lower rack, the top rack was leaning on them. Also 99 cents/lb. Yummy. Very yummy.

AR

Back