Meatloaf time and temp ?

I am getting ready to cook a 4.5 lb meatloaf on the WSM, I am unsure on the temp and time. I was thinking 250-275 for about 3 hours. Does this sound right? Any input would greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bill. Right above your post is COOKING TOPICS,
Plenty of info from Chris on meatloaf.
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Gillespie:
I am getting ready to cook a 4.5 lb meatloaf on the WSM, I am unsure on the temp and time. I was thinking 250-275 for about 3 hours. Does this sound right? Any input would greatly appreciated. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, you can do that. Cook to 160*. I like to do meatloaf in that temp range. Comes out good.
Easy on the wood as ground meats absorb smoke like a sponge

I usually start mine in a foil pan and smoke for about an hour. Then I carefully take it out of the pan and back on the smoker. Get more crisp sides that way.

I usually smoke mine at 275 to 300°F. The time depends on the size of the loaf and its density. I also cook meatloaf to 160°F internal.

Just curious, what's the advantage/difference of cooking meatload @ 275-300 instead of 350.
I'm planning another meatloaf cook shortly. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Just curious, what's the advantage/difference of cooking meatload @ 275-300 instead of 350.
I'm planning another meatloaf cook shortly. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see no advantage to cooking it under 350. Low and slow is not critical to meatloaf IMHO. The advantage to cooking ML in the WSM is the smoke ring and smoke flavor.

I've always cooked/smoke my ML's at 300 to 350. They've always been good!

I agree no need for low and slow on a loaf..I cook em as I would poutlry...at higher temps. I use some pork/Italian sausage in mine so I Will cook it to 165-170, always super moist. Just beef would be 160, like a burger. Dang, now I need to smoke a loaf this weekend

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know how the loaf came out this past weekend. I cooked it at 275 for about 2 3/4 hours, It came out very very good, not bad for my first meatloaf on the WSM. A very nice smokey flavor(apple wood), although a little on the dry side, but I think I know the reasons why, I put raw onions in the loaf instead of cooking them first. I think the raw onions soaked up most of the moisture from the meat. and secondly I did not eat it right away, it sat there covered for about 1 1/2 hrs. For the sauce on top I used: a bottle of chili sauce about 1 cup of grape jelly, some chili powder, paprika, and a little bit of cayenne pepper. Sorry I have no pictures of the loaf, my camera is broken. Again thank you all for your help.

Back