Meatloaf recipe

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This should probably be posted in the recipe section, but since it was requested in another section, here it is. Many people are raving about this recipe. I think it came from Q-Fest in Glen Rose, TX...not the Jack Daniels like I had thought. Anyway, it is great, I just had some for dinner.

: Title: Ole Man Jim's Meat Loaf
: Categories: Bbq, Ground Meat, Meat Loaf
: Yield: 2 large loafs
:
: 5 lb Ground chuck roast
: 2-1/2 lb Ground Pork
: 2 lg Onions, minced
: 2 Bell peppers, minced
: 16 oz Italian seasoned bread crumbs
: 2 oz Cajun Bbq rub
: 2 ts Thyme
: 2 ts Sage
: 6 lg Eggs, beaten
: 1/4 c Danny's glaze*
: 1/4 c Sesame Oil
: 1/3 c Danny's glaze for topping
: GLAZE (Danny's Glaze)
: 1 c Brown sugar
: 1/4 c Apple cider vinegar
: 1/4 c Yellow prepared mustard
:
: DANNY'S GLAZE
: Place brown sugar, vinegar and yellow mustard in a small pot and
bring to a simmer (Do not boil.)
:
: MEATLOAF
: Thoroughly hand mix first eleven (11) ingredients and form into 2
equal loaves. Place each loaf into a foil loaf pan and place both
into a 275?F pit for 2-1/2 hours. Remove from pit, brush tops with
Danny's glaze and return to pit for 15 more minutes.
:
: Drain fat from loafs, slice and serve

Rocky-

Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll give it a try in the next week or so. I like meatloaf, but I've gotten bored with the ones I usually make. This should be a nice change.

Ken

No problem....
yeah this recipe is definitely not your ordinary-run-of-the-mill meatloaf. Even if you don't have a pit or grill, this recipe would still be excellent cooked in the oven.

The glaze is awesome, I think I will try some of this glaze when smoking a ham sometime.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rocky:
[qb]--snip--

The glaze is awesome, I think I will try some of this glaze when smoking a ham sometime.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Rocky,
This glaze is also great on pulled pork. There are several versions of Danny's Glaze around with different measurements being the difference. The one I use is 1-cup Brown Sugar, and 1/3 cup each cider vinegar and mustard. The original ( I think it is the original) calls for 1/3 cup each ingredient. I tried that, and it was just too dang sour for my taste. That reminds me, I need to make some more of that good stuff! I'll bet it's great on ham, too.

--
Ronnie

I'm not sure if this version of the recipe is the original or not. It was posted on the bbq list and pulled from a mealmaster file.

This version has 1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup prepared mustard

So...your version increses the cider vinegar and the prepared mustard from 1/4 cup each to 1/3 cup each then. hmmmmm

Here is an excerpt from an email I received from Danny a few months ago. He explains that the recipe on his website is incorrect:

"I really like the mustard glaze on ribs and pork, however, there is a misprint there. Start out with 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4
to 1/3 cup of mustard, and 1/4-1/3 cup of vinegar. Follow rest of instructions on how to prepare it. Great stuff. Got to get down to the restaurant and start some smoke. Write me anytime, will be happy to help you if I can.

Danny"

Hope this helps clear up the controversy.

George

I might be able to clear up the discrepancy in regards to Danny's Glaze. Originally Danny created the glaze using the equal proportion method of 1/3 cup of each ingredient.

Later on he increase the brown sugar to 1 cup and kept the mustard and vinegar at 1/3 cup.

Danny is an excellent pitmaster. But I bet he doesn't manage his own webpage. In fact I believe it was made by someone else. My guess is Danny has more important things to do than adjust the recipe on his website.

I have noticed over the past year that many webpages have not been as frequently updated they were in the past. I'm sure some of the excitement of webpage design and use has waned amongst many people. It takes quite a bit of time, money, and effort to make changes. Particularly if you lack a lot experience.

It might be a good idea for those who have webpages to go back and proof them again and update changes they may need to make. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This recipe looks great. Thanks for posting it, Rocky!

Question, being that this is in a foil pan, is there any point in adding smokewood to the briquettes?

Sure, it will still absorb from the top and the meatloaf starts to pull in away from the sides of the pan, so the smoke can even get in from the sides some.

Ground meat seems to absorb smoke flavor much faster than non-ground meat.

You might want to try mild wood chunks like apple, cherry, alder, maple because Hickory, Mesquite, Pecan, Oak might be a little strong or overpowering (maybe not though).

Some people might want to use 1/3 cup of cider vinegar and 1/3 cup prepared mustard instead of 1/4 cup. It is probably great either way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarrenC:
[qb]Question, being that this is in a foil pan, is there any point in adding smokewood to the briquettes?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want more smoke exposure, form the meatloaf on a disposable flat foil pan. I use 12" foil pizza pans found at the grocery store. All surfaces except the bottom will absorb smoke this way, and the fat will drain away from the meat in the pan.

Go light on smoke, because meatloaf will absorb quite a bit. You'll get an impressive smoke ring!

Regards,
Chris

if you want a little more smoke in the taste, try pulling the loaves out of the pans about halfway through when they start to firm up and they will absorb a little more

les

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back