Meatloaf Problem

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Made a meatloaf today. Combination of 2/3 beef to 1/3 sausage. It was great except it was falling apart. Anybody have any ideas? Too much breadcrumbs? Substituted Ranch dip for sour cream maybe that might be it. Last time I made this it held together perfectly.

Here is the recipe. I doubled the ingredients because I had 3 lbs of beef and 2 lbs of sausage.
1 TBSP. veg. oil
1/2 cup minced onion, saute until soft
1/2 bell pepper (I didn't add this)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (a little too much salt for me)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/4 ground beef
3/4 ground pork
1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tsp tobasco ( I didn't add this)

I usually use 1 egg per pound of meat, no less than 1 egg per 1.5 pounds. The protein in the egg acts as a binder.

Also depends on how much fat is in your meat and how you let the fat drain from the meatloaf as it cooks. The breadcrumbs will absorb some fat, but the rest needs to go someplace.

Also, if you slice the meatloaf right out of the oven/cooker, it will be more crumbly than if you let it rest for 15 or 20 minutes.

-gbeck

Gary, I used fairly lean beef (90%). I smoked the meat in a rectangular deep fryer basket that I've chopped the handle off. I let sit wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes. When I took the foil off I could see that it was seperating in the basket. I'll try using more eggs next time. It smelled and tasted great. Ought to be totally awesome today.

Mmmmmmm...I love cold meatloaf sandwiches, the thought of a cold smoked meatloaf sandwich...
I'm drooling now!!
BTW, I see you're in E-ville, I have an ex-wife and daughter there.
What is the name of that BBQ place in Owensboro KY that everybody loves? Can't remember it, do remember that I wasn't impressed. (However I am a Carolina-style fan).

Mike, to rub it in a little, the meatloaf sandwiches are great!!! I brought one to work today. We only have about 3 1/2 lbs of meatloaf left :-).I used a little too much wood on the smoke however. The name of the place in Owensboro is the Moonlite BBQ. It used to be really good but it's so expensive and the quality is not what it once was.I'm doing 20 lbs of Butts for work today. Taking a 1/2 a day off and all day tomorrow.Can't think of a better way to spend my time off- smoking meat and a cigar .

Back