Meat Seasoning on Grill

jg dewaal

Hi Folks

If you look at the tv programmes when they show restaurants from the top notch places to diners they all seem to have some "special" seasoning they sprinkle over their meat.

Some is simple - just S&P
Most include garlic & onion powder
Then some have all their secrets......

Some brush their meats with a oil or vinegar or butter basting.
Some more complex

And then they end to top with butter or all different sauces.

Why don't you share your trusted recipes or secrets that you might know.

If you get a burger at The Vortex in Atlanta GA they add zero seasonings while cooking.
They want you to taste the flavor of the juicy meat before adding seasonings to it. Many
do not.

When I grill Tri-Tip steaks, I season them with celery salt, granulated garlic & onion. Simple,
but really brings out the flavor of the meat.

Welcome to the forum!

Which seasonings do you use?

For steaks I pat them dry with paper towels, rub them with peanut oil then season with a mixture of equal parts kosher salt/lawry's season salt/onion salt/granulated garlic and black pepper. Usually grill them with reverse sear method of letting them slowly heat up for 8-10 mins. away from the hot coals then sear over hot coals to finish. Put them on a wire rack and place in the oven(no heat) with a pat of butter on top for 5-10 minutes while I grill the asparagus. My favorite grilled meal.

Welcome to the site JG, how'd you go 8 months before you posted? This stuff is addicting.

Anyway, depending on the meat determines what I season with. I like the philosophy of keeping it simple and tasting the meat as well. For steak its kosher salt, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper kernels and light olive oil.

I've really enjoyed the Weber spices for regular grilling. I've got 3 different ones and I just grab whatever looks good.

For BBQ, I'm still tweaking my recipes.

Welcome JG!! I usually just use Gray Salt & Pepper and let it sit for about a half hour before grilling, but occasionally throw some Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning on.

Thanks Guys

I've been lurking here and enjoy everything on here. Neil is correct, it is addicting.

I usually take steak and let it marinade for 10 min in oil and worcestershire sauce if I'm using wood. Not on gas.
I use a mix of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion and cayenne (as I like hot stuff)
I also like to keep it simple.

Thanks for the info, keep them comming.

I am a Montreal Steak Seasoning (McCormicks) fan for beef (Steak, Hamburgers, etc.) and some pork (pork chops as an example). I first use a light coat of extra virgin olive oil so that the seasoning (whatever it is) sticks. The oil also helps with browning of the meat.

I use BRITU seasoning for ribs and a standard pork rub for Boston Butts. I use Cook's Country recommended seasoning and procedure for St. Louis Pork Steak (which happens pretty regular). I love their home made BBQ sauce which used to braise the pork steaks in.

I do chicken parts three different ways, depending on my mood. When I do BBQ sauce, I use simple kosher salt, fresh coarsely ground pepper, and a bit of cayenne pepper. That's way ONE. Way TWO is to use the same seasoning and then sauce with Larry Wolfe's Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce. Way Three is with Cajun seaoning (I find my self doing this with 1/2 chickens on the WSM with High Heat at about 350 degrees with no pan). This is the medium version (yellow container) of Slap Yo' Mama. If you can stand a bit of heat, this is only wonderful!

When I do Salmon on a Cedar Plank (quite often) I use a rub from California "Fish and Seafood Seasoning" from Spade "L" Ranch of Selma, California (sent to me by my son-in-law from SLC, Utah). This works just as well with Steelhead and Cod Filets. Again, I use a light coat of EVOO on the fish before applying the rub/seasoning.

Well, now you know MY secrets. What are yours?

Dale53

I'm a Montreal Steak Spice fan too and I love their chicken seasoning as well. We make up Simon & Garfunkel rub(amazingribs.com) for poultry. It too is excellent. When I want to kick things up a bit I prefer Club House Hot & Spicy. My new favorite for brisket is Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub with Cumin. For fish, salt of course, onion and garlic powder with a twist or two of Hot & Spicy. We don't eat a lot of pork but it's pretty simple to season with onion & garlic.

I guess of 100 ppl posting you will get 100 different responces. Taste is up to you. Keep it simple and let the meat speak or cover it in a complex rub with 20 ingrediants...Both work...but its up to you to deside. Im a keep it simple(boring) kinda guy. For pork i wanna feel some salt/heat/sweet. All that is done with a simple salt/pepper/honey(to glaze). Add another 17 ingrediants and sure i bet it tastes great. But othewr then texture can you say you eat Pork?

If you get a burger at The Vortex in Atlanta GA they add zero seasonings while cooking.
They want you to taste the flavor of the juicy meat before adding seasonings to it. Many
do not.

When I grill Tri-Tip steaks, I season them with celery salt, granulated garlic & onion. Simple,
but really brings out the flavor of the meat.

Welcome to the forum!

Which seasonings do you use?

Double bypass was fantastic with the wake and bake stout.

Back