Meat Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was at a Smart & Final (don't know if it's nationwide, but kinda like Costco on a smaller scale)last nite and nthey had a great selection of meat.

My question is about Tri-Tip. I have always bought mine in 6 - 7 lb. sizes. They had them cryovaced and were nearly 17lbs! Is this three or four sealed together, or would I have to butcher it myself?

BTW, I know they are located throughout So. Califonia and they had a great selction of ribs, butt, picnic, shoulder and brisket. All Farmer john brand I believe,

Thanks,

DWL

Hey, Doug.

I don't think S&F is national, but we've got 'em up here. What you were looking at is probably about 5-6 tri-tip roasts cryovac'd together. That's how I've always seen them at S&F.

I actually have never purchased pork products from them since I have been so happy with CostCo. However, they are the only place near me that regularly carries brisket. I always sort through the ones they have to see if they have some Choice grade. More often than not, they are Select.

Gotta try that tri-tip recipe that Chris has one of these days....I LOVE tri-tip!

Cheers,
Rich G.

Not to put a damper on the Costco party, but the day before the 4th of July, I bought two packages of their baby backs, opened them that night and both smelled really, really foul. It was no problem getting my money back, but it also meant I had to go to the regular grocery store to get my ribs, they only had spares, before my 4th of July party. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyway, for my next party, last weekend, and the debut of the smoker, I went back to Costco, bought two more packages of BBs and they were both fine.

did you get their store packaged ones or the ribs that comed in the cryovac packs, they ususally go through so much meat their that I wouldn't think it sits around very long. I usually get the ones in the crovac pack and think they are better then the stores

Les, last time I went to Costco they had just sold their entire babyback shipment, all 75 cryo-packed-3 per pack, to a single individual!! So I had to get mine at a Winn Dixie-UGH!!
Dave

Thanks for the feedback.

--Rich G:

I'm originally from the Bay Area, so I know S&F is up there. I was just curious 'cuz I usually get my Tri-Tip at Costco and have always been impressed with there quality and price. S&F had quite a few briskets yesterday. I had never seen one before and was surprised at the size! One could get a good workout with those things. BTW -- I saw the link to Armadillo Willy's -- that place is one of the restaurants I miss the most about the South Bay and Peninsula.

My 1st rib attempt is at the 5 hour mark. Gotta Go!

Thanks again!

DWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back