Meat Fest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy.

I got my WSM last father's day and used it to make spares for my wife, son, dad and stepmother. Aside from being a little tough (not cooked long enough) they were a big hit and my dad has been asking for ribs ever since. They're coming over this weekend for this year's Father's Day (belated) celebration and ribs are again, on the menu.

Here's what I'm doing:
2 slabs of BB ribs (cut into 4 "half" slabs) on a rib rack using Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub as the rub and David Veljacic's Oklahoma Hot Barbecue Sauce. I'm cutting the sauce recipe into two batches for the purpose of experimentation. One batch will be straight up, the other I'm going to substitue half of the chili sauce with a mango hot sauce I picked up in Saratoga this summer. We'll see how it goes.

On the bottom grate will be 5+ lbs of country style ribs, also using Willy's rub, and then following David Veljacic's Chilied BB rib recipe. I've grilled country style ribs before with amazing results (my friend calls them dino ribs and gleefully accepts them as payment for various computing tasks) so I'm really looking forward to getting a nice smoke ring on them.

Finally, space permitting on this smoke, but definitely this weekend, I'm going to make two big smoked meatloafs using the recipe in Smoke and Spice.

I'll be sure to keep detailed files and take pictures which I will then post on my site. Actually, I'm not going to post them, my friend will in return for some dino-ribs and one of the meatloafs but you get the idea.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. Is anyone else hungry? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've also been thinking of doing that same meatloaf. Can't wait to hear about your results.

How long do you plan on smoking the country ribs?

I just did BB ribs for my father in-law. I experimented w/ KC BB sauce and added 2 tbl of each , honey and grape jam. It was very tasty and will do again!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Tom

I haven't done country style ribs in years. Back before I knew what I was doing, I always found them real tough. How do you guys make them so they're tender?

Captain Morgan

Seeing how this is my first time smoking country ribs, I'm going to shoot for 4 hours, but start checking at 3. This seems to be in line with all of the posts that I've read on the subject this week (it's been a very unproductive work week but very productive BBQ week).

Some people foil them, which may help. I'm undecided on foiling the BBs at this point, but if I do, I'll probably foil the country style ribs too. Given that the country style ribs don't have any bones on them, if they really start to fall apart from too much time in the foil, I'll pull 'em, mix in some sauce and server 'em as sandwiches. I am nothing, if not versatile. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What does wrapping the BB's in foil do? Sorry to sound so green...only have one smoke under my belt and want to learn everything about the WSM!!

Plan to smoke a turkey breast this weekend...any tips?

Foil-wrapping any barbecue meat for a portion of the cook serves to accelerate the breakdown of connective tissues and the rendering of fat, while additionally conserving moisture.

Check the Cooking section of the website for turkey ideas, and check out the Brining topic as well.

Most people will say a turkey breast doesn't benefit from low/slow and you should cook with an empty, foil lined pan at a temp around 325. If you're just getting started and want to smoke low/slow, go ahead. It will take longer, but you'll probably have more fun. A key to remember is take the breast off at an internal meat temp of 160, this will keep it moist. I would marinade it overnight in WB Italian but the majority here prefer a brine. Do a search under "brine" and you'll find lots. 2 or 3 chunks of wood should be plenty unless you like lots of smoke flavor.

Enjoy your cook.

Paul

It's on!

Had some problems with high temps (280 or so) at the beginning. A combination of errors, including a) probably a bit too much charcoal (2 chimneys) b) forgetting to put the wood on when I put the meat on (had to open door with breeze blowing right on coals) and c) didn't let the WSM cool down enough (337 when I put the meat on).

After closing the top vent for about 20 minutes the temp dropped down to about 218. I've since opened the bottom vents, and the top vent and we're holding steady at around 237. For now anyway.

Both Hot OK sauces turned out great so I'm really excited about tearing into these ribs.

I'm hungry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back