Meat Cut Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the great chart. I notice smoking is NOT in the recomended ways to cook beef. Wus up wit dat!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif .

Anyone know of a chart like this for a pig?? I think that chart is excellent! I have seen the basic illustration for both pigs and cows like the one in the link above - but never one with the great descriptions of what cuts come from which part with such detail. Thanks for the link!

Rick
Cook's Illustrated has a great pork chart complete with recommendations & details in their latest issue, April 04. The article itself is about cooking pork chops, but the chart would be really helpful to many on this forum.

Peter

Sorry Weber fans but don't use the Picnic Ham location in Weber's Big Book of Grilling. They got all confused and showed it as a hind quarter. The Pork Board who does an awesome job has it in the proper location /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
The proper location being the front shoulder and it is the lower half below the Boston Butt.
Otherwise it's a nice book.

I'm confused by the brisket location in the cattlemans angus beef chart. On the pic of the angus, the brisket is shown along the edge of the steer, if you will, which is where it belongs, right?; but on the illustration of the carcass (top, right) the brisket (labeled F3) and fore shank have switched places.

Is it simply because on the carcass pic, the leg has been rotated up?

Anyone know?

yep, that's the carcass illustration I was talking about. So if the brisket is essentially the breast, then I reckon the carcass is shown as tho it were walking (with the foreleg extended).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
[qb]I reckon the carcass is shown as tho it were walking (with the foreleg extended). [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>More like hanging, and the illustration is rotated 90*.

These are all really good charts - maybe Chris could put links to them in the Cooking section of the site, I'd like to be able to refer back to them someday and I'll bet the thread will be really old by then...

or I guess I could print them off...hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back