Measuring Temperature Question

G

Bought my WSM a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to fire it up for the first time this past weekend. Great time!
I did two pork butts (followed the "Renowned Mr. Brown directions), each about 9-10 pounds out of the wrapper. I put them both onto the top grate at 9:30 pm on Friday and pulled them off at 5:30 pm on Saturday as they hit 190* internal temperature. I (and everyone who indulged) were very impressed with the results, but I am a bit curious as to why it took 20 hours to get them there.
I feel that I did a pretty good job managing the fire. I used a Weber thermometer (around $10.00) dangling form one of the hole in the top vent and kept the temperature between 225* and 250* for most of the time with a few spikes above 250* and a few dips below 225*.
After a lengthy intro, here is my question:
In trying to maintain 225* to 250*, should I be measuring the temperature at grate level or is the top of the dome OK? I did evntually measure the temp at the grate (around 3:00 pm on Saturday) and found it to be just a hair above 200*.
I look forward to your comments.

if you are measuring at the lid, you should aim for 250-260.

but 20 hours for a 10 pound butt is not uncommon. My 8-pounders usually take around 16-18 hours. If you ran closer to 240 at the grate, you'd probably be done a few hours earlier.

JP,

The WSM lid temp is about 15 degrees hotter than the top grate. You will want to allow for this when using a thermometer in the lid. I use a Taylor Candy Therm in the lid and I keep my temps (on the therm) between 240-250 degrees. This means I am actually cooking between 225 and 235 which is a good low and slow range. If you follow the therm temp exactly, you will be very low and very slow. Thats not a bad thing, but it takes a long time for the meat to get done. My last 8 pound butt and 7 pound brisket were done in just about 13 hours. The butt nearly pulled itself when I took out the bone, and the brisket was tender, juicy and had an excellent smoke ring.

Hope this helps.

Tony

JP,

20 hours for large butts isn't uncommon, although they can also be sped up and finished in 12-14 hours. With butts that big, I've let dome tempeature creep up to 275-290 to finsish them off.

As for temperature measurement location, pick a spot and learn how that tempeature behaves. Dome temps are typically warmer than grate level temps (look through archives to find many disussions related to this). Eventually, especially when ambient conditions are warmer and still, the inside of the cooker will attain a fairly consisitant temperature throughout.

I measure temp in the lid, a thermo dropped through one of the vent holes. I spent some time trying to measure grate level temps, etc, but ultimately have learned how the cooker behaves by watching dome temp. Others have great sucess measuring grate level temps. Choose one that your comfortable with and learn how that temperature affects a cook.

I’ve been cooking on the Weber since July and I measure the temperature about ½ “ above the grate. I keep the temperatures at 225, within plus/minus 10 degrees. When I cook butts I cook in pairs, one on the top grate, the other on the lower grate. I finally have come to the conclusion than no matter what the size, it’s going to take around 22 hours to reach 195 at 225. The first couple of times were frustrating using the 1.5 to 2-hours/pound rule of thumb. Actually, I wasn’t frustrated; it was just the people who came over expecting to eat at 6:00 PM and having to wait until 9:30PM to eat!

Regards, Ken

Thanks for the input everyone, sounds like it is a questions of experimenting and getting a feel for the way that the WSM behaves.

Joe,
Does kicking up the temperature at the end "to finish them off" affect the final results? Less moist?? Just curious.

The safest rule of thumb I feel is that each cook will be different. Now I have a propane smoker but that shouldn't really make that much difference. Over Labor Day I did a 11.5 lb Pork butt and it was out of the smoker in 11 hours at 230 degrees. I was figureing 1 1/2 hours per lb. Foiled and dropped it in the cooler went golfing came home at 1:30 and pulled. No meat will be done before its time lol.

All of the "testing" I have done with probes at the grate and lid, if you leave everything go (not lifting the lid all the time) the temps balanced out to an 8-9 degree difference. These temps were checked in the spring/summer months, so I'll have to check in the winter, but don't expect to much difference.

I have been seeing a 15 degree difference between a Tel-Tru Thermometer permanently mounted in the lid and an NU-701 probe on the bottom grate.

I should have mentioned that the temps I took were for the top grate and lid only. never tested the bottom. Sorry, I left that out.
icon_biggrin.gif

I measure at the dome through the lid and shoot for around 250 assuming this is giving me a top grate temp of around 225. I haven't had a problem with this in the last 10 years or so and I think people can get caried away of trying to measure "exact" temps of the cooker. Its low/slow cooking, not baking.

Paul

Back