Maximum amount of ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
What's the maximum number of babyback or spare ribs you can do in the WSM? I am picturing rolling the racks and stacking them two layers high but I dont know if the lid or the 2nd grate will go on. I was thinking I might be able to get 12 racks in. Is it possible?

Russ,

While the rolled stacked 14 racks of baby back ribs are an impressive number, you can fit upwards of 20 if you stack them flat. Lay one layer of baby backs, bone side up, and then keep adding ribs until you run out, I have only gone 3 racks high, but I don't think 4 would be a major problem.

There is, of course, a downside to this method, stacked ribs will not be attractive to look at where the meat was not directly exposed to heat and smoke. You will also need to rotate the ribs once for each layer, three layers, three rotations. For example, you have three layers and are estimating a four-hour cook, rotate at hour 1, 2 and 3. This will allow for even cooking and also give a bit of color to all sides of the ribs.

This is also one instance where a bit of sauce applied 20 minutes before taking them out of the smoker and again when you take them out would help, at least with appearance.

If you are doing 10-12 racks or less, go with the rolling method, but if you really want to stuff your WSM to capacity, try stacking.

Slight disclaimer: The max number of baby back (loin back) racks I have stacked in my WSM at one time is 17, and they were small racks, about 1-3/4 pound, though I don’t see how a few more racks would be a problem.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

You folks need to understand that Mr. Gary W is the current world record-holder for stuffing meat into a WSM. He's been known to simultaneously cook a whole hog, side of beef, some salmon filets, and still have room left over for roasting some fresh corn, sausage, and a brisket or two.

'course, his WSM shows a little wear and tear from the pry bars he uses to fit all it in.

Truly, Gary never ceases to amaze me with his creativity in maximizing the capacity of his WSM.

And he cooks really good BBQ, I hear.

Dale
Respectfully listening to all the master WSM chef has to offer in Chicago

Dale,

While it’s true I, occasionally, stuff the heck out of my WSM I am the one who should be asking you questions, not the other way around. Heck, when you were up in Alaska cooking for 10-days straight with your brother at the festival you probably cooked more then even ‘hearty’ eaters like me, my family and friends will consume in 10-years. You, and many others on the board, also compete in BBQ contests, which is a whole other level of dedication.

People like you, Jim M, Chris A, Bruce C, Buzz, Chris H and Stogie are the reason I keep coming back to the VWB, to learn from people with, not only experience, but the ability to impart that experience to others.

The other thing I find so interesting about the VWB is that fact that I take, what Robert Wagner referred to as, the “Loose Cannon” approach. I rarely, if ever, take cooker temps, meat temps (with the exception of large tender cuts of meat, e.g. prime rib) or keep notes from one cook to another. At the most, I might jot down when I started the meat, but invariably misplace the note.

Given my ‘loose cannon’ methodology it is helpful in the extreme to have a place I can return to, time and time again, and obtain clear, concise, factual answers to questions. Chris A has, not only provided such a place, he has populated it with the real masters of BBQ.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back