maximize brisket on WSM?

Vin

TVWBB Fan
ok.. had a party for 85 on Sunday... made 6 pork butts, 2 briskets, and 10lbs of wings...

the briskets were a huge hit.. and they're not something I do regularly... I don't believe they were full packer briskets.. even though they were in cryo.. they were thinner, and smaller at about 8 lbs.. and very little point.. Wife picked them up and the butcher said they don't get "full" packers..

regardless... I had 6 butts on 1 WSM. I did the wings on the grill and tossed them w/Buffalo sauce. but I was able to only fit 2 briskets on my 2nd WSM, one on each rack..

so.. what I ask of you ... any ideas on putting more brisket on a single WSM..

My ideas already are:
1) just buy trimmed flats and cook vertically with either a rib rack or skewered together. maybe get 4-6 flats at a time.

2) cook 2 a day early, and another 2 to be ready the day of the event.

Any others??? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you have 18" WSMs.

If you are serious about this, I'd go get some stainless 3/8" all-thread, nuts and washers. Some of the washers need to be large fender washers. Get a spare 18" cooking grate.

Fix this to where you have 4-5 "posts" permanently attached to the lower grate. Nut, washer, fender washer, grill grate, fender washer, washer, nut. At the top (about 4-5"), affix another setup to where it will allow you to set the spare grate on it.

For the top, I'd look at a BGE Large Eggstender or rig up something I've described above and use a 14" Smokey Joe grill grate.

Hey Vin,
A cook for 85? Wow
icon_eek.gif

Look here for some ideas to increase your capacity.http://www.virtualweberbullet....ncreasecapacity.html

thanks guys.. never noticed the "increased capacity" section...

yep.. never did anything for 85 before.. although there were like 30 kids (or so it seemed)..

the 2 briskets were GONE.. not even crumbs in the pan.. got lots of compliments on it, as the wife concocted some sort of predominantly black pepper rub.. very good..

anyway.. figure for next yrs bash, need to make more brisket.
icon_smile.gif

Back