Max Temp on Genesis Gold - question

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I routinely run my Gold (and my older Silver B) at 450-500 and to start the steak I will hit 550.

I saw a roadside grill the other day, the firebox was badly warped, looked like it had a fire and it warped the cast iron box. I left it since at the time I didn't need any parts.

The question I have, is how hot can you run a Genesis Gold or Silver without warping the firebox? I would like to try it at 650 or 700 degrees but don't want to wreck it.

OR is it so well made that you can turn the burners on high and let it crank?

I know when I was trying to clean out my WSM 14.5 I put a whole chimney of lit coals in it and melted the thermometer grommet, got a new one for free from weber.

Jeff, my Genesis Gold is a beast. It will hit 600 in 5 minutes. I have ran it wide open for cooks before and it seems to stand up to the heat. I have only owned it for a few months so I do not know if there are any long term consequences to doing this. It has been around for 14 years so I think it should be alright.

I am doing 8 chicken legs in about 20 minutes, I think I will crank it first and see how long it takes to read temps, then will turn it down and cook the legs at 375 indirect.

6 minutes to 600, when I opened the lid, boy was that air hot, same with the bar, was a tad warm. Of course that was my right hand and my right side was affected by my stroke, still can't feel warmth on my whole right side but I feel pain from heat on that side faster.

While the grill can take a "normal" wide open temp. It is not designee to actually "cook" lid down full temp for much more than "burst" It may not damage the grill but the food will suffer LOL. Typically the hardest I push lid down (unless I am using less than all the burners) is medium setting. Now sometimes when you just want a quick cook (thin piece of meat, boneless skinless chicken breast/turkey breast, some types of fish yeah full on (lid up or down) is good. But some gas grills can just turn into total "infernos" LOL. Hate to tell you how much hair I've lost from my arms due to the fierce heat my Wolf grill can generate. LOL
The reason you'll see a firebox warp is people get very careless about not cleaning the lower area of the Genesis out and suddenly they have a conflagration they cannot control. Not too long ago an idiot in my neighborhood had the fire dept for a "visit". their Genesis was on the curb next day. I looked at it. The firebox had "melted" and burned through, the grates had gotten so hot they drooped (btw for those who don't think burning jet fuel caused the the warping of the beams that collapsed the wt towers think again), even the frame had warped. It was obvious they had never cleaned the grease system on it. There was an interesting "odor" in the neighborhood after that btw. LOL

I have had a few flare ups over the years, sometimes a good but controllable fire will clean all the crud off, but I prefer to clean it right.

I know if I have been falling down on the job if I get a fire. Yesterday pushed it to over 600 with lid down for about 5 or 10 minutes to see if it would flare and what would happen, go a small amount of smoke but no flare or fire so it is fairly clean at this point.

Back