Maverick problem

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone using a Maverick ever have this problem?

I put two picnic shoulders on the WSM last night. After setting up the Maverick the food probe registered 225 on a cold shoulder. The smoker temp was accurate (I compared it with my manual thermometer). The probe is not next to the bone and is deep in the center of the roast. Never had this happen before...
I inserted a manual thermometer in the roast and left the other probe in. The temp fluxuated all night between 225 and 305 while the manual thermometer registered the expected results. Before I send it in for repair, thought maybe it was something small and stupid that I was doing and maybe someone else knew the answer.
BTW, the celebration tonight is for my son Joe, who is home for good after a 5 year stint in the Navy...

Swap the probes and see how they read ??
Seems like you have bad probe ..
A call to Mav will usually send you a new set.
Test probes in hot water ...just the probe ..getting the wire in the water wrecks um I think.

Glad Joe is home ok.

Well, after 20 hours on the smoker, the shoulders came out great. I'll order a new probe...figure when it broke it just wouldnt register...never thought I'd see these crazy numbers. I've had these probes for 3 years now...time for a new set.
Thanks for the info

Back