Maverick Initial Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
I received my Maverick thermometer today, and first impressions are good. Keep in mind that this is the first and only digital thermometer I've had experience with.

Initial quality looks better than I had expected. The transmitter base has a rubber seal around the battery compartment, as well as rubber plugs to protect the probe receptacles when not in use. It is listed as being water resistant, but not water proof. The remote receiver seems sturdy, has a nice big numbers and a loud "chirp" alert. I like the flip-out stand feature used to prop it up.

I wanted to see how accurate the unit was, so I put a pot of water on to boil. As the probes are not supposed to be submersed in water, I wrapped them up in some Saran wrap to keep them dry. Within about 90 seconds, both probes registered 212* (FYI, my elevation is about 32'). So far, so good. I have them measuring the air temp in my room now, and both are in agreement with my digital thermostat (77*).

I'll use them a lot starting this Friday morning in an actual BBQ setting. 3 briskets in an overnight cook, then 35 racks of ribs on Saturday. I'll post performance here as I can, but early indicators are good. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good so far rob, Im still waiting for mine.
I take it since you have it measuring the air temp (that doesnt change to quickly the remote hasnt stopped communicating. I know its not supposed to do this but Im a worry wort.
I guess I'll just have to find out for myself.

Good luck
JIM

I checked the mail just after my last post and it was here. The meat probe measured 211 in boiling water (its 600ft elevation here). The smoker probe read 213. At room temp the meat probe measured exactly the same as my digital thermostate at 71*.The smoker probe showed 73.I think I can live with this.The remote functions perfectly. It kept communicating with the probes for more than three hours before I shut it off
I think im going to try it on a long day cook before Im ready to try an overnight cook.
Jim

Mine came today! Performed the same tests, got 213 on both probes...close enough. Now if only the WSM would get here...
The only things that bug me...in one part of the manual it says it is waterproof for use in rain, on the very next page it says do not use in rain...make up your mind. Also, do you think those wires will reach all the way up through the vents giving enough room to place the transmitter on a cool area? They stress not to let the lid touch the wires and I don't have any experience with where to hang or place the transmitter where it will be safe.
It seems to be a well made product. I was able to set high and low alarms and the timer, and I cant even program my VCR...
Well gentlemen, phase one of experimental trials are near completion. Phase two human trials are not far off. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Gal

Randy
I share Your Pain! I noticed the same conflicting info. However after a reread of the paper under cautions it says "do not use Reciever in the rain,the Transmiter is water proof but not water tight". Im going to insert the probes threw exsisting thermometer holes. And Im going to hang it on one of my handles in the body of my cooker. (I installed handels on mine).

If You dont want to go to that much modification
you can run the probes threw the vent and use that metal clip they gave you to attach to the back of the transmiter. Then set a folding chair or somthing next to the wsm and hang the transmitter on that. I KNOW it sounds dumb but it is a simple solution and I think it will work till you come up with a really great Idea.

I posed some of the issues on the board to Darren at Maverick and this is the email I recieved back from him. It sounds like thre wont be a problem running the wires under the lid and that the caution is to not have the reciever out in the rain. I still will take a old butter tub and cover the transmitter if I'm cooking in the rain thats what I've done with the williams and sonoma maverick and I've cooked right through a few thunder (and snow) storms. Hope this helps.
from Darren Keller at Maverick

"The I/M states transmitter is water proof for use in rain. In the cautions we state Do not use the receiver in the rain. The transmitter is water proof but not water tight. Do not immerse in water.

transmitter water proof

receiver NOT

Wire temp is good to 570 F so lid temp of 225-250 is OK.

The wire can go under the lid provided there is no high heat there (570 F or above) and the weight of the lid won't crush/pinch the wire.If the lid and body meet like a knide blade and the lid is heavy you may have a problem. You smoker guys are creative. Maybe suggest they snake the wire through a small ID steel/copper etc. tube and set the lid on the tube. Too big a gap??? Too much smoke escape??? "

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
[qb]I still will take a old butter tub and cover the transmitter if I'm cooking in the rain[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A margarine tub sounds good. I've placed the transmitter in a ZipLoc bag, and that worked well.

Regards,
Chris

Well, I love it! I posted a message in the beginners forum, so I won't duplicate it here. I wish that the wires were longer. I am going to have to modify using a aluminum pipe and e-clip. I called my hardware store and they said they didn't carry it and I would have to go to some speciality shop (I thought they said something like a pipefitter, but wouldn't swear to it).
I don't know how the probes would fit through a 1/4 in pipe, especially the meat probe, as it is curved on the end. Any suggestions?

Randy, the pipe only needs to be an inch or so. The curved piece should fit through it OK. If not, it could probably be bent a little.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb] Doug,

What about my concerns about fitting the probe through the tube...are they unfounded? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Polder digital probes and the like fit thru fine. In answer to a subsequent post, no, you can't insert the probe past the curve, there's no need to, you're not trying to pass the probe thru the side of the WSM to place it into the meat-- in this case, you're just using it to measure cook temp.

Doug,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Polder digital probes and the like fit thru fine. In answer to a subsequent post, no, you can't insert the probe past the curve, there's no need to, you're not trying to pass the probe thru the side of the WSM to place it into the meat-- in this case, you're just using it to measure cook temp. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, I wanted to slide the food probe there as well, putting it through the vent limits where I can set the transmitter. I didn't want to set the wires under the lid. Any suggestions?

Gal, if you want to drop the probe through the lid and have a handy place to set the transmitter that won't stretch your wire all over tarnation, try positioning a steel C-clamp (a plain o' garden variety clamp like this: http://www.jmtools.com/details.asp?Itemid=07-4033 ) such that it clamps onto the vertical portion of the side of the handle of the lid of the WSM. You can clamp it such that the "C" is laying out horizontally off to the side of the handle, and you can prop the transmitter on the steel "C" portion of the clamp, like a tiny little table. You can hot-glue a small square of cardboard or even a bit of formica (a couple of formica samples from the lumber yard work nicely) onto the broad side of the "C" to fill in your little tabletop if you wish. With this ET-73, you should also be able to position the c-clamp on the WSM handle such that the closed edge of the "C" is pointed to about 1 or 2 o'clock, and use the little wire hanger to just hang that little puppy on there. I just now thought of that, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit like that too.

The C-clamp on the WSM handle works well with a magnetic polder, too, although then you don't really need the little "tabletop" approach - just slap the magnet onto the C-clamp body. I don't know how well I explained myself here, but I'll take a picture of my little thermo-prop setup tonight.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb]Actually, I wanted to slide the food probe there as well, putting it through the vent limits where I can set the transmitter. I didn't want to set the wires under the lid. Any suggestions? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm... The aluminum tube is going to be under the top grate so even if you could pass it thru, you wouldn't be able to measure temps of meat on the top grate without going thru some trouble. For meat on the bottom grate, I usually just snake the wire thru the side door. For meat on the top, I just carefully pass the wire under the lid. Key word is carefully. If you do the same, I don't think you're likely to damage anything and the air leak really is very negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back