Maverick ET-73 vs. Nu Temp NU-701

Scott Baker

I am looking for a wireless set up and have seen both the Maverick ET-73 and the Nu Temp NU-701 mentioned several times on this site. Which would you consider the better set up and why? I would appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

Thanks -
Scott

Hi Scott,

I cannot speak to the Nu Temp NU-701 but I'll speak to the Maverick (first impression, read on). I ordered mine last week and just opened her up today to test against boiling water. The first thing I did not like was the fact that you have to take the back off the transmitter to turn the unit on, yes the back as in where you place the batteries, the power switch is back there. Someone else had mentioned this in another post however I didn't realize exactly what they were saying, now I understand, not a great design (in my opinion). Next, guess where the TX button is to manually connect to the remote monitor, you guessed it, behind the battery door. Very inconvenient. My main concern with this design, other than it being a pain in the butt is that you have a "thumb-nail" type screw that you must turn to take the back off the unit and I imagine this could wear out after several smokes.

Someone else had mentioned not turning the unit off as it's simply an LCD display and the batteries wouldn't drain that quickly. The problem with this is you still have to take the back off to press the TX button as if you do not turn the units on within 60 seconds of each other allowing them to automatically connect you must press the TX button to manually connect them (if I'm incorrect here, someone please let me know).

Testing against water was pretty much dead nutz on, smoker probe 212, meat probe 210 . . . I can live with that.

Also (just looked at the NU-701) note that the Maverick comes with two probes one for the smoker and one for your meat. I'm not sure how many probes come with the NU-701 or how many it can be expanded to.

This weekend will be my first smoke with this unit, I'll update this post with my first experience.

Oh, I paid just over $50 for the unit (including SH and Tax) on Amazon.com.

Ciao

Maverick ET-73

Despite the inconvenient power on and having to refer to the manual to set the 'alarm' temps I'm satisfied with my Maverick ET-73.

I started a brisket tonight and the Maverick ET-73 will be on my nightstand; it lets me know if smoker temps get too high or too low and when the brisket is 'done'. It has a backlight so I can check in between 'sleep interruptions'
...basically it's the best smoker sleep-aid I've ever purchased.

The ET-73 has two probes from the transmitter -- one for the meat and the other for the grill temperature. I like this ability.

From what I understand, The NU-701 has only one, but you can buy multiple one-probe transmitters which gets expensive and cumbersome.

Also, the high and low temp as well as meat done alarms on the ET-73 are a big advantage over the meat done alarm for the NU-701 for overnight cooks.

Additionally, the ET-73 transmitter has a wire stand which can be turned upside down and used to hang the transmitter right on a WSM in a very convenient fashion - no table or stool needed. I posted this picture of mine on another thread, but if you missed it, here it is again.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/MaverickMount.jpg

Scott, I have the Maverick ET-7, not mentioned too much on this site. It has 2 probes, and both are for meat. Since I use a Tel-Tru mounted thru my lid for temps, I don't feel the need for a pit probe. If you use a lot of lump, I could see where the alarm of the pit probe might be handy if you get a temp spike.

Thanks for the info!!! It looks as if the Maverick has advantages over the NU Temp, despite the on switch. I appreciate the advice as my better half is looking for a Fathers Day gift...I think I just found it.

Scott

Scott. F.Y.I. The on/off switch arrangement is worse on the Nu-Temp. Not only is it inside the back cover; you have four small screws to unscrew with a screwdriver as opposed to the one thumbnail latch on the Maverick. Its the reason I returned my Nu-Temp. Very happy (so far) with my Maverick.

I agree with Keith. The design of the Maverick seems bad at first, but I really haven't found it that inconvenient to use. It's simply, I think, the cheapest way to protect the switch since the transmitter unit will be outside facing the elements.

Haven't used the Nu-Temp, but if the back is screwed on, that will be noticeably less convenient.

The NuTemp is not supposed to be turned on and off with each use. It's supposed to be left on. The battery life is quite good as it does not draw much power.

I bought the Nu-Temp and 3 remotes back in March and I am not terribly impressed. I decided to buy a remote system so I could put a probe in the WSM and a monitor/ alarm in my bedroom (about 8 foot horizontal distance through a window) to alert me to temperature swings during overnight cooks. Unfortunately the signal is so poor that the base only occasionally (if ever) gets updated (might be minutes, might be days) which makes it unreliable and useless.

I have not been able to get anywhere near the advertised 100 foot transmitting range even in my open backyard. About the best I’ve managed (outside) is about 50 feet, and then the update frequency remote to base is measured in minutes. For $100, I think I could have done better.

On the other hand, one of the remotes quit transmitting all together about 3 weeks after I bought the system and Nu-Temp was very good about sending a replacement.

Bill

Bill, when I do an overnight, it's about 10 feet through a window and brick and I have no problem with the readings.

Do call (better than email) the Nu-Temp people and talk it over with them. It could be any number of things but it should definitely work well at that range.

Rita

Originally posted by LarryR:
Next, guess where the TX button is to manually connect to the remote monitor, you guessed it, behind the battery door.
Would it be possible to drill a small hole in the battery door so that the TX button could be pressed with a toothpick or something similar?

Used my ET - 73 for the first time this weekend for an overnight smoke and I've got to say I was very impressed. I had good range, was able to set my high/low temps without reading the manual (not on purpose, I lost it).

I still feel the power and TX button design is a bit off but I don't think it will bother me much.

The grate adapter/holder worked very well, I was able to position it perfectly between the two butts on the top grate. Nice feature!

Eric, yes, I suppose you could drill a hole to access the TX button. And in case anyone is wondering, I did have to use the TX button to connect the two devices, they did not automatically connect when I turned them both on within 60 seconds of each other.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info guys...I just ordered the Maverick ET-73 and can't wait to get it. Your posts have been very helpful in helping make my decision.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by LarryR:
Used my ET - 73 for the first time this weekend for an overnight smoke and I've got to say I was very impressed. I had good range, was able to set my high/low temps without reading the manual (not on purpose, I lost it).

Don't ask me how I know this
icon_biggrin.gif
, but here is a pdf of the manual
ET-73 Manual

I have used the first ET-73 that I ever ordered for 3 or 4 years--just ordered my second one just to have --in case. The range may not be what is advertised, but mine has always done what it was supposed to do. Another plus is that when you call Maverick, you get a PERSON, and they are very happy to sell you another probe or whatever you need. They have thrown in small parts at no charge for me--that, I appreciate.

Originally posted by Tom Barineau:
I have used the first ET-73 that I ever ordered for 3 or 4 years--just ordered my second one just to have --in case. The range may not be what is advertised, but mine has always done what it was supposed to do. Another plus is that when you call Maverick, you get a PERSON, and they are very happy to sell you another probe or whatever you need. They have thrown in small parts at no charge for me--that, I appreciate.

I still don't think their design is that great but the customer service is EXCELLENT. I had a problem with the unit I purchased recently and they've bent over backwards to make it right.

Kudos to Maverick Service!!

Originally posted by Jim Groom:
Don't ask me how I know this
icon_biggrin.gif
, but here is a pdf of the manual
ET-73 Manual

Jim, thanks for the pdf link. One question for your ET - 73 users. Does the timer top out at 10 hours? Mine started beeping at 10 hours and all I could figure was that it had exceeded its range as when I cleared the timer the beeping stopped.

Ciao,

Back