Maverick ET-73 question probe placement

David Rocha

Hello, I just received my Maverick and was cooking a pork butt on my WSM but was not sure where to place my probe. I did purchase and installed the eyelet from BBQ Guru.

My question is do I attach it to the grill or just poke it through the eyelet and let it hang?

I also connected the Maverick meat probe into the Pork Butt and received a reading of 190 when done but when I used my digital thermometer it registered 178. Maybe my digital thermometer is bad (bought at Home Depot).

Any recommendations on when to pull off Pork Butt?

Any help is appreaciated.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I usually run my smoker probe through the little clip and clip it to the underside of the top grate in the middle - where the meat is. As for your pork butt question, I've never done a pork butt. But most of what I've read says to 190 is a god temp to pull it off. Good luck and good smoke.

Place your therms in boiling water to check for accuracy.

Butts are usually done between 190°-205° depends on the butt. When the bone can be easily removed it's done.

Al

David,the butt is done when the bone releases easily and the probe enters the meat like going into butter. Temp is only a guide. Place your probe close to the meat but not touching.Try to keep the probe tip central to the grate and not over the edge.

Mark

Thank you for your suggestions. Your are right the temp is only a guide. The Maverick is a great tool but the on button being located in the battery compartment is weird.

Thanks and have a good smoke.

David,

As a newbie myself, I would suggest trying a few butts with just the lid temp gauge to get a feel for your smoker. Butts are one of the easier meats to cook and can be great within a wide range of cook temps.

Personally, I think too many newbies obsess a little too much over exact temps. Smoking/barbecueing is a bit of an art and a very forgiving process for the most part within a pretty wide range.

Personally, I say rub a butt (preferably a pig's), refrigerate, throw it on a smoker and let it fly and see what happens. My first one cooked a little hot and was done a little early. My second one, I cooked it lower and slower and it took a little longer. Took both off at internal temp in 200 range and knife/butter feel and they were great.

Back