Maverick ET-7 Radio Transmission: 100' ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hello.
I've completed 2 successful smokes with my Bullet so far, thanks largely to the info. from this web site.
1. Chicken breasts. 2. 7lb Turkey breast. Used the recipes from the website - awesome stuff! No water in water pan so far per directions. Going to do bigger and better meats next, now that I know I can run this grill with no problems. Bought the Brinkmann water pan too.

Anyways, I purchased the ET-7 after reading about it, and so far I am dissapointed with the "remote" feature of it. It works well in all aspects except for the transmission. I definitely cannot: 1. Go 100' with it. 2. Go "anywhere in my home." Both items described in the directions.
Anyone else also have this problem? What's the farthest you can go with yours? (including walls, windows, etc...)

I BBQ on my back patio. I can only go about 30' or so, on the other side of a glass sliding door. When I go upstairs and am by a window, no more updates, even though I'm only 50' away.
I sent an e-mail yesterday to Maverick, but no reply so far.
I'm also trying to figure out if there is a manual method to force the reciever to update itself from the transmitter - doesn't look like this is possible. Maybe doesn't matter either.

Thanks for any tips!

I had the same problems you describe. My WSM is in the carport which is probably 50 to 75 feet, maybe, from my playroom where I had the receiver. My recollection is that it either would not transmit that distance or, perhaps, it became erratic. Honestly, it's been some time since I tried to use it and didn't pursue it further. Now I just use a candy therm in a top vent and a polder type probe when the meat is within a few hours of being ready. I'm really not big on lots of wires and gadgets sticking out of the cooker - but, that's just me.

Paul

My best advice I can give you is to keep trying. I too had the same problem at first. I would set the receiver on my kitchen window ledge, about 30' away from the transmitter, go to bed, and a few hours later the signal would just vanish.
Now, after a few more uses it works great. I place the transmitter on the WSM at an angle so that the readout screen is facing my kitchen window, I also make sure that nothing is getting in the transmitters way, and I haven't lost a signal yet.
Since I don't know your set up, take a look at what might be in the transmitters way. See how high it is off the ground. Play with the angle. Practice and patience are the keys to success. Whenever something says "Up to" don't keep your hopes up on reaching it. It's just good advertising.
Good luck to you.
Ben

Hi Rick -

I bought a maverick a few months ago and it works great. I don't go 100 feet, but I do go about 50 feet, inside and upstairs and haven't had any problem.

I'd continue to pursue with Maverick. From what I've heard, they are genuinely interested in making sure their products work well.

Good luck.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting 100'. There was a lot of discussion about this awhile back. Most seemed to be satisfied that if they kept replacing their transmitter, which they did free of charge, they got satisfied. I read all that and didn't care to go through the trouble. I keep mine in a window with line of sight and hold a signal at about 25' with no problems. I found that as long as it's in the house, I can hear the alarm if it goes off.

Right Chaps
I was initially worried about being able to reach the 100' distance from my kitchen to the back garden. The trick is, as Jerry mentioned, line of site if I have line of site I can go the whole 100', if I move behind the wall (these are very thick Victorian brick walls ~200 years old) nada. Also, I find if the transmitter and receiver are in the same orientation, i.e. upright with transmitter ppointing to the receiver, it works better.

try it and let us know, it works for me.
I even changed the batteries once but it turned out to be orientation.

morgan

Hey Rick,
Personally I'd sent that thing back for a replacement. I have a one and it works great. I've use it with every cook for the last couple of years. You shouldn't (and I don't) have to mess around with correct positioning or angles etc...
I regularly put my receiver inside the house, up the stairs, down the hallway, and into the back bedroom onto my nightstand for my overnighters - never fails me!
R.D.

I also have the Maverick and have had similar issues. I BBQ on my back patio with the transmitter pointed directly at my sliding patio door - maybe 15 ft away. I can get reception from the cooker to the patio door on the outside, but as soon as I go inside (with the patio door closed) - nada. This is even with a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. It wont even work with the window open, but the sliding screen closed.

For now I have lived with that becasue I've only done day time smokes and I can read the readout on the transmitter from my window. There is no way I trust this thing to work inside the house for an overnighter so I haven't tried it yet.

How often should the receiver update itself? I've tried playing with angles and line of sight with no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">as soon as I go inside (with the patio door closed) - nada. This is even with a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. It wont even work with the window open, but the sliding screen closed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, we're in the exact same boat. The best thing that temperature gauge taught me was that I don't need one...and I never did. I'd smoked for 15 years without one and figured that I'd get better by taking meat off at the exact temperature that the guides said I should. You know what...? I started screwing up BBQ. Cooking isn't a science, it's a feel....when you're comfortable with it...and folks tell you it's damn good, believe 'em. I cooked 4 racks of ribs today ( I took an early lunch and got the smoker going...took them of at 6 ) and I didn't need a temperature gauge to tell me when they were done. I'm done with the crutch of the perfect temp, the perfect timings and the perfect amount of wood. I'm gonna cook like I used to....by feel. Smoking food isn't supposed to be complicated as far as I can tell.

-brian

Rick,

I too have found that I can only go about 35 feet inside the house, and I cannot get a reading if I go upstairs. I just leave the receiver downstairs and listen for it when I am upstairs.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darren Clark:
It wont even work with the window open, but the sliding screen closed.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it a metal screen or plastic ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darren Clark:
How often should the receiver update itself? I've tried playing with angles and line of sight with no luck. Is there anything else I can try? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine seems to update every 10 secs or so

I thought about building a reflector/director (the principles behind a Yagi array antenna) but I don't have a problem getting 100' of range.

Back