Maverick 733

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone,

Johnny here; first post. Just got my 22.5 in and about to get to seasoning but I have a question about a thermometer I purchased and if I should send it back for something more reliable?

I just purchased a 733 but have read reviews that it doesn't like getting wet, well, how do you spray/spritz if the probes do not like getting wet?

BTW, just took Harry Soo's BBQ class on the 16th and now hooked! Transitions from gas is going to be awesome!!!

Thanks in advance.

I have a 732...and for the money I feel it's a good deal. The issue with the probes is washing them, where the probe and cord meets needs to stay dry. So wrap foil at that area to protect it. Just my .02

Rob

I have a 732...and for the money I feel it's a good deal. The issue with the probes is washing them, where the probe and cord meets needs to stay dry. So wrap foil at that area to protect it. Just my .02

Rob

Thanks for the input Rob. That's a good tip and will try that, found the hybrid probes (733 come with) on Amazon for 16 bucks so I guess it's not too bad to replace them.

If it makes you feel better, get some heat shrink tubing and slip a section over the area where the probe and cord meet, then toss all but the plug-end in a 300F oven for about 10mins. It should be nicely sealed at that point. You may have to re-do this on occasion since the heatshrink gets brittle over time.

Last edited:
Rob's advice is on the nose. Some foil is cheap and easy and keep spray out of the probe/wire connection. I have been wanting to take Harry's class for months, but haven't been able to work out the time off for travel.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the foil is probably the route i'll take.

I found the hybrid 733 probes on amazon so I guess that's too bad if I needed to order a backup.

Thanks again

If you go with the Mav 733, try to make certain you have a extra probe on hand in case one of them doesn't work. This happened with mine, guess I got water in the probe while cleaning it (thought I had avoided the water). Didn't know it until I went to use it the next time and the probe showed LLL. Luckily I had my ATC along with its probes as well. My son likes to carry the Mav display around the house and report the temp to me otherwise I may not have been using the Mav.

Dave

If you go with the Mav 733, try to make certain you have a extra probe on hand in case one of them doesn't work. This happened with mine, guess I got water in the probe while cleaning it (thought I had avoided the water). Didn't know it until I went to use it the next time and the probe showed LLL. Luckily I had my ATC along with its probes as well. My son likes to carry the Mav display around the house and report the temp to me otherwise I may not have been using the Mav.

Dave

Thanks for the tip and yes, in fact, I did purchase an extra probe just in case; got it for 11 bucks on Amazon.

I used the unit twice already and it's pretty nice not to have to get up and check on temps. That said, I treat those probes like a new born baby and I wish I didn't have to do that.

If it makes you feel better, get some heat shrink tubing and slip a section over the area where the probe and cord meet, then toss all but the plug-end in a 300F oven for about 10mins. It should be nicely sealed at that point. You may have to re-do this on occasion since the heatshrink gets brittle over time.

This is what I've done. The problem is more with washing them than with spritzing.

BD

This is what I've done. The problem is more with washing them than with spritzing.

BD

Do you all really put them under running water and such? How do you wash? After this last run, I simply got a damp towel and wiped till most of the carbon and junk was off.

Do you all really put them under running water and such? How do you wash? After this last run, I simply got a damp towel and wiped till most of the carbon and junk was off.

I try not to, but, the help we have at contests sometimes have. I would much rather buy an extra probe here or there than lose my dishwasher! I'm hoping the heat shrink tubing solves the problem.

BD

High temp heat shrink tubing found 260c (500f) - anyone need?

I try not to, but, the help we have at contests sometimes have. I would much rather buy an extra probe here or there than lose my dishwasher! I'm hoping the heat shrink tubing solves the problem.

BD

Hi, I have tracked down some 260c (500f) high temp heat shrink tubing but am unsure of the diameter needed (my 732 is on its way). The 300f idea posted earlier in this post wouldn't be gutsy enough I think for hot cooks(?!) If I buy a quantity of this higher temp tubing would anyone else be interested? If I am going to place an order for myself once I have learned the costs (only just found it and they are closed atm) but I can get extra and mail it to those who need as it weighs little. Downside is that I am based in UK but Hellerman (manufacturer) probably have USA distribution. They can be seen at http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/site/products/heat-shrinkable-tubing/tfe2-10/336-00489

So anyone interested and if so, what diameter are your probes? This stuff reduces to half its original size so if 4mm was needed, a 5-7mm tube would do the job etc. Also, what length of tubing would you think sensible to keep the wire joint clean/dry on each probe? This tubing has to be heated to 350c+ to shrink by the way.

PeterFromSandhurst

Back