Mastering the Flame.... indirectly

Hey Erik - great posting. Kinda hurts my head a little with all the detail, but it really digs deep into some areas that most of us prefer to just navigate by the seat of our pants. I might suggest that you get a copy of the book, Mastering the Grill: The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking by Andrew Schloss and David Joachim. It does a pretty good job of talking the science side of grilling that I think would interest you greatly. I am one of those people who prefer to use gas for some things and charcoal for others. Those preferences came by the school of hard knocks. After reading the discussion in Mastering the Grill on the differences in the heat environments between gas and charcoal, I can say that I now understand why. Looking forward to your future postings.

Don

Thank you for the recomendation. I scoped the book as much as amazon let me and it seems like a great fit for me.

i love to read and learn and then apply said knowledge.

esr

The 100.

well I was able to burn a full chimney today.

there is no photo because that is what it is a full chimney is 100 coals.

I am happy to report it did not take 8 hours but only an extra hour from the 50 coals burn for a total of 5 hours 20mins from light to 150f.

here is how i arranged the fire.
8a6311ff.jpg

I chose to arrange the fire in this way to keep consistent with air flow around the basket with the 25 and 50 burns.
I thought about placing the flat face of the baskets together like we may do when cooking but i felt that would change the dynamics to much from the other burns.

the time in the chimney was 21mins until i had flames spouting out the top and the very top coals had some corners turning to ash.
i will say that there was a coal or 3 on the very top that only had red glow on the underside. I made the choice that this was ok because i had the first lit coals on the bottom falling out of the chimney. as you can see in the above photo that is the dump and you can see how some of the coals are complete ash and smaller than others, i accepted that reality as there isnt much i could do in this test. I wanted to stay consistent.

In a cooking situation i found it is much easier to light a half a chimney then pour it over the unlit coals in the kettle or basket.

there is something interesting to report with this burn, i had a air temp drop and a drizzle for 90 mins. I was worried this would completely ruin my experiment however the kettle was not really affected by this. it shows the resiliency of the kettle and the fire inside.

Now i am very sure there was a cooling effect but it is not as big as i thought it would be and i see no real reason to have to sit again for 5 hours.

thats really about it. lets look at the data charts and discuss.
0516b135.jpg

i am happy to see that the characteristics of the curves are true from each burn.

the line generally only declines.
when the fire is strong and the ashes are knocked off there is a slide in the temp rather than a spike.
there are valleys.
at the end of the fire, knocking the ashes off creates a spike in temp.

you can see the rain effect at minutes 190 to 240. There is a clear effect on the grill as the decline gets a bit wonky versus the rest of the chart. Still though the kettle powered through the lower air temp and the falling water.

the water began right after a ash knock at 180 mins so there was a slide from that, then the air cooled and the water began. interesting to learn from that experience.

so other than not taking 8 hours to burn everything, this test went much like the others.

lets compare!
77bc0711.jpg

ahh lots of things to discuss here. lets work our way from left to right.

the very first thing i learned is how the kettle size affects the fire.
we can see clearly that 25 coals takes a moment to catch up and heat the interior of the kettle.
while 50 coals is juuuuusssst about right as it begins to burn and slip into a nice long valley of stable temps.
while 100 coals is a beast, right off the bat it pinned my needle so i can only estimate it was 600+ but as you can see this fire is larger than the kettle itself and the restrictions on air flow brought the fire down right away.

we can see in the bigger fires there are more and longer valleys. 100 compared to 50 shows more stable temps. as with 25 it is a steady decline.

i suspect that the water and cooler air messed up a valley in the 295f range. we can see after the temp dip from the ash bump, the kettle settles in for 10 mins but then it gets wonky.

we can look at 50 coals and see this behavior toward the end of the fires life to so that is why i conclude the light rain and cooler air had only a small effect. I further back this up as you can see the kettle recovers at 250f and that is when the rain let up.

I have prepared some other charts for you to look at.
917f5285.jpg

here is all three lines just with out all the clutter.

it was a really fascinating experiment and the amount of knowledge i learned from this is exponential.
i let you take it as your own. I hope I helped you if you had questions.

oh here is the ash can after the 100 coals.
f27c5183.jpg

just under a half a bowl, i dont think thats too bad, but then again i havent burned any natural briquettes so that might be a ton of ash.

again the weber proves its worth in a efficient burning machine
6a5b4893.jpg

this was all that remained after this burn.
i have noticed, at least for this test, the more coals i burn the less there is at the end of the experiment.
i thought the 50 burn was efficient, this one was practically nothing but dust and the 25 had quiet a few glowing coals left.

Thank you all for reading this and asking questions :cool:

Ill come up with something else i want to learn more about, i am thinking about how to maintain a fire temp, so i would like to make a time table and a general idea of how many briquettes to add at a time and what time to add them.

Lets talk about it all! :)

I am always looking to better my skills.

esr ;)

application of knowledge.

well, after sitting reading and going to the grill every 5 mins for 6 hours, what do you do with the knowledge?

cook!

like i stated before, i am no professional nor have i been doing this for such a long time that it is second nature but ill get there. plus wit a little searching one can make leaps and bounds from beginner to intermediate.

lets apply some of our newly found knowledge.
IMG_0446_zpsc39381a2.jpg

ahhh what a beautiful sight.
that was chimney full of coals.
so roughly 100 coals ready to cook.
we can estimate that there will be temps of about 500f for about 20mins
according to several sources 450 to 600 is the searing range so lets take advantage of this time.
plus we can also estimate that the grill will run a touch hotter due to the fact that the fire can rage with the lid off
i know you guys like action shots so here is the start of the cook.

fun times, the chix went on and i snapped a quick one before closing the lid, again we can estimate the temp to be around 600f.
07c9b0eb.jpg

i kept the chicken on the same side for about 3mins covered grill time before flipping.
i flipped and then cooked indirectly for about 20mins total.

i dont like the color balance of the photo and due to camera range it looks darker than what it was.
247e500f.jpg

i brined this chicken for 4hours in a basic salt sugar solution, as you can see on the board there is tons of juice from other chix and that is after resting, god i love brine.
this chix was just wonderful.
Also it was a departure from my previous years of grilling chicken to crispy on the outside raw on the inside, or black on the outside and shoe leather on the inside.
now, this isnt my first go round of good food off the grill, i have been watching and learning from you guys for about 3months before my first post, i wanted to share with others that a little calibration or spend some time with your instrument will get you to great results without having to worry and lift the lid, flip the food, sweat, cry, laugh, or curl up in a ball.

great food awaits you, we can only get better.

esr

Great post and experiments Erik! I definitely appreciate you sacrificing 175 coals and a good bit of time. This definitely validates what I always suspected, although I'm really not as diligent about using the ash catcher at specific intervals or anything like that. Heck, the other night I left the bottom vent closed and didn't notice it until the grill started cooling down.

It's really amazing to me how similar the 3 lines are. I originally thought that the 50 curve was just 25 shifted up and right, but now it almost looks to me like the 50 and 100 are just magnified versions of 25. I'd bet if they were all the same size that they'd have the same peaks and valleys. Great stuff!

Erik, thanks for taking the time to share this information. It would be really interesting to compare briquette manufacturers to each other using your methods and in particular KB to the 100% hardwood briquettes. I did enjoy the read.
Thank you

Great cook the only thing better would have been the sliced chicken shot to show it clear white done and juciy, although I can see it in my head.

Back