Mashed Cauliflower

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
i see a lot of mashed cauliflower on plates in these posts....i am not familiar with it at all. does it really taste like potato ? is it better for you ? less starch / carbs / calories ?
anyone got good tips on prep and or serving suggestions? thanks in advance. :wsm:

It is a replacement for mashed potatoes on a low carb diet. I would say it is better for you since you are eating a vegetable rather than a starch but it also depends on how you prepare it. I have made them in the past I really enjoy it.

It makes a decent side. The recipe I use is posted below.
Ray

Cauliflower Puree
1/2 pound cauliflower florets, chopped (2 2/3 cups)
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 TBS grainy mustard
1 tsp horseradish

Simmer cauliflower, garlic, broth, and salt in a small saucepan, covered, until cauliflower is very tender, about 10 minutes.
Puree mixture with cream in a food processor until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), or mash with a potato masher or a fork.

I'm waiting for an excuse to use this one:

Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower 'Wings'
1 cup water or soy milk
1 cup flour
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
1 cup buffalo or hot sauce
1 Tbsp. olive oil or melted vegan margarine

• Preheat the oven to 450°F.
• Combine the water or soy milk, flour, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir until well combined.
• Coat the cauliflower pieces with the flour mixture and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake for 18 minutes.
• While the cauliflower is baking, combine your buffalo sauce and olive oil or margarine in a small bowl.
• Pour the hot sauce mixture over the baked cauliflower and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
• Serve alongside blue cheese dip and celery sticks.
Makes 4 servings

˙ooʇ pooɟ "sʇɹods" spǝǝu ǝɥs os uɐıɹɐʇǝƃǝʌ sı ɹǝʇɥƃnɐp ʎɯ

Last edited:
Thanks all for the info and recipes. I think I might try to make some faux mashed potatoes and see how they taste. Can't hurt me , right ?

:wsm:

Back