marinating brisket

Gary Reynolds

Does anyone marinate thier brisket overnight befor they smoke? a local bbq guru Ron Lutz, has a bbq book out and in the brisket chapter,he says to soak the brisket 12-24 hrs befor he rubs then puts on the pit. anyone seen this done befor? or have any marinade tips.

That's the way I did it the first time and don't plan on doing it any other way. Mine came out super moist and delicious. Folks that say marinade doesn't get past 1/4 inch or so of meat didn't taste this brisket@!!! Had flavor all the way throughout. Try using what you like and go from there.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,i forgot to mention in the above thread that he marinates his briskets in buttermilk,i guess that is what i was most suprised about,i assumed that a brisket marinade was quite common,just not a buttermilk marinade. thanks again!

I have marinated chicken in buttermilk, garlic, rosemary, S&P prior to making fried chicken, and I like the results, and I have also marinated fish in buttermilk, but I would not have thought to try it on beef.

For Easter I will marinade a boneless leg of lamb overnight in plane yogurt. Not for tenderness or flavor, but to draw out the gamy taste of the lamb.

Back