Marinade vs. Rub

Rolf Jacobsen

TVWBB Emerald Member
So tonight I grilled some chops with another marinade. I have done chicken, chops, and beef with various marinades. Regardless of how long or what it is, I find the difference in flavor subtle at best. On the other hand, a rub screams out the flavor. Is this just me or am I stating something everyone else already knows?

Thanks,
Rolf

I'm with you. I don't marinade very often lately, and when I do it's usually something with a ton of flavor like Mojo Criollo. I will say that I just got a Foodsaver and want to try using that to marinade just to see how it works.

is marinating then seasoning not worth it? i do this often.

99% of the chops i cook are marinated or brined.
i tend to think marinating is like brining the pork.
in my mind, it helps keep the meat moist.
i may be completely wrong but doing so, i cannot remember the last time i dried out a chop.

What would fajitas be, without marinated beef (flank steak typically, but I sometimes use a skirt steak)?

I agree that seasoning/rub probably adds more flavor and is most likely quicker, but a marinade gives you additional (different) options. I would not give up either one! :D

First of all, thanks to everyone who replied. This is why the forum is so valuable to a puppy like me. Jon, I’ll be real interested to see how you make out with the vacuum system. I’ve thought about it but dismissed the idea as we don’t have a large/separate freezer. Jim, I should have known you would have a valid answer. As the "Prince of Pork", it figures. Thinking about it, I have yet to have a dry chop since I started marinating. That alone makes it worthwhile to me. Ray, I’ll give the Roadside Chicken a shot, thanks! Vern, Bill, Tim, I hear you and no doubt you’re right. Once again, thanks. On a personal note, I’ll be trying to do longer marinades in the future just to see if it makes any difference.

The Food Saver is a very valuable tool even if you do not have a freezer. One of my favourite tricks is to season my steaks, pork, & chicken before freezing. I add my dry ingredients and vacuum seal. Sometimes I will let a steak sit that way in the fridge for 2-3 days and then grill. They're also great for keeping pulled pork and brisket. Just place the whole bag inhot water and warm it up. The brisket comes out just like it was just taken off the WSM.

My .02: I believe marinades, brines, and rubs each have there own purpose and use. In my mind marinades are acid based liquids that probably don't penetrate very deeply into the meat, brines are salt based liquids that will penetrate 100% into the meat if left long enough, and rubs are herb/salt based that don't penetrate at all but are used to create a tasty crust. I prefer brines for poultry and pork and then use a rub for a crust and use marinades for beef with a rub for the crust.

Back