Marinade + Rub for ribs?

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
A month ago on the Food Network, they interviewed a team at MIM that puts a dry marinade on their ribs for around 18 hours. When done, they wash the ribs off and then put the actual rub on then stick them in the cooker. I've never heard of a process like this. Has anyone else done this with their ribs? They seem to do pretty well with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrell J.:
A month ago on the Food Network, they interviewed a team at MIM that puts a dry marinade on their ribs for around 18 hours. When done, they wash the ribs off and then put the actual rub on then stick them in the cooker. I've never heard of a process like this. Has anyone else done this with their ribs? They seem to do pretty well with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't tried this. I usually just apply a rub just before getting my smoker ready. I have applied a rub and let it sit over night and I have also let the ribs sit in a marinade over night. But, I have found that the Ribs come out just as great with just a quick application of rub before going on the smoker. Of course this is just my opinion and I am still trying new things. I also spray my ribs with a combo of apple juice and seasoned rice vinegar anytime I open the lid on the smoker, usually every hour or two. I have also rubbed the ribs with mustard before applying the rub, but I recently quit doing this.

I am curious to the method that you mentioned, I have not heard of this techinique.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has tried it.

Weldon

I think my biggest fear with this kind of process is turning the ribs into ham before it's all said and done. Somehow these guys finish pretty well in contests though.

I recently tried a batch where I marinated ribs for a few hours and then applied a complimentary rub on them before putting them on the smoker. They turned out really good. I think the marinating time is the key, it seems.

I have thought about using Chris Lilly's Pork injection to brine the ribs in. I would have to do a side by side comparison between a brined and non-brined rib to see if it really makes a difference. The difference may be slight, so I have not noticed it in the past, but that slight difference could be the difference between a 1st and 2nd place trophy in a contest. Who knows?
icon_confused.gif
I'll have to give it a try.
icon_biggrin.gif

Weldon

Back