Marinade for chicken question

Well I finally got around to cooking the chicken last night. I used the olive oil recipe above and cut it in half because I had only a full boneless breast. I marinaded it in the fridge for about 20 hours. The flavor was good and it did have the flavor profile that is at the coney island. However, I really didn't notice any change in the texture of the meat from the long marinade time. It certainly didn't get mushy. Frankly, I was kind of hoping for mushy. I know people say fall off the bone ribs are too done, but I kind of like them. I was hoping mushy was another word for really tender. I guess it would take more acid to get that effect.

I'll be going to Hillers this Friday and hope to try the spiedie sauce. I will try that with a long marinade time and we'll see what it does. I may also do a small batch of the same recipe as before, with more lemon juice (acid) and see if that does anything.

Great to hear from you Jerry! Thanks for the update Yes more lemon juice will make the meat softer. The Spiedie sauce,..I have marinaded for as long as 4 hours as short as 2 hours with great results. At Hiller's you will find it in the same isle as the Marinades, BBQ sauces etc. It is usually on the bottom shelf, it is a big bottle for the value/price. I have never used the whole bottle, unless I was doing 1 or 2 whole chickens. I put the chicken in a deep 2 inch baking dish and pour in the sauce to cover the chicken. Refrigerate it of course. I usually turn it after an hour or so, and keep turning it to keep the marinade consistent. In think you will like it. I know the flavor profile you are after. I like the
coney island salad with chicken also. :) don't marinade it for 20 hours though as posted in your previous notes, that will be waaaayyyy too long.

Last edited:

Back