Marathon smoke underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris A posted several shops down in the bay area. I may just have to take a drive down and buy them there. It's a long drive to go grocery shopping, but I head down that way pretty regularly anyway.

Do briskets freeze well? I could fire my freezer up again and have plenty of capacity to make the trip worthwhile.

When i go to wal-mart i stock up on the packers. I never had a problem freezing them for up to a year. For instance the one i did last night some how got lost in the freezer and i took a chance on it. It said sell by Aug 14,2002
icon_eek.gif
It was fine must have got lucky
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Chet, what temp do you take them to and how long do you leave them rest in foil? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I targeted 185* in the flat, then foiled them with a little spray or two of apple juice and (oh, heresy), put them in a 200* oven for an hour or so to wrap things up.

The flat had a nice smoke ring and good flavor. It was also relatively tender. But it was very dry.

The point came out about perfect. Some nice chopped sandwiches are going to come out of that bit.

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe just maybe you are triming the flat a little too thin.I don't trim JMO. The one i did last night was just a flat in the freezer for almost 2 years.
icon_eek.gif
I took it to 198 a storm came up really fast and i had to get it out. Wrapped it in foil and let it rest on top the stove for 2 hours and 15 min. It was so moist and tender one of the best briskets i ever did. I do briskets at least every 2 weeks for 3 years now and i wish i could give credit to the person that told me this not so long ago. If you take a brisket to 180-185 all you have is a well done steak. If you take it to 200 -205 you have brisket. Man was he right. I was shooting for 202 but the storm came up and had to pull it off. He also said to let it rest for at least 1 hour 2 is better. Just wish i could find the post cause he is dead on about this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Don't take this the wrong way <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I never take anything the wrong way. I am always right.
icon_wink.gif

It's probably that patience thing again. I have just started studying that chapter. Next time, I'll give it a go. 205* it is.

Chet, IMO the best thing you can do for a brisket is to let it rest. Minimum of 1 hour 2 is better to let the juices redisribute through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back