Marathon smoke underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
Somebody stop me. I'm getting carried away again. I've got BRITU loin back ribs in now to be ready for dinner. After dinner, I start two Butts and start looking forward to Lunch tomorrow. After the Butts are done, I have a lovely little brisket to go on tomorrow hopefully to have some for dinner. A local market was selling pork butt and brisket for $1.00/lb. I stocked up.

Not only am I gonna have some fun, get some pictures to post, and some good eats, I'll have leftovers all week.

Chet, Marathon cook is an understatement. That sounds awsome. Fire it up and smoke all weekend. Thanks for the idea
icon_wink.gif
Gonna have to try this some weekend. How's the GURU working. Doing a brisket and Ultimate Baked Beans today. Did'nt hook up the GURU yet though.
icon_frown.gif
Got very sick last night and did'nt get up on time this morn.
icon_mad.gif
Just lit some coals and did the MM set the vents threw the brisket on and went back to bed. felling better now Can't wait to here and see how it all turns out
icon_eek.gif

The guru is working fine. I did a practice run when I first got it and pretty much destroyed a perfectly good chicken. I wasn't paying attention and overcooked the bird. The guru won't protect you from yourself. The temp was still holding steady. I wasn't using ramp mode.

I have tested the temps with a couple of different thermometers and it is right on target. So far, I'm pleased.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to use for the brisket. For the butts I was thinking one with Old Bay (curiosity arose from recent discussions), and one with my normal mustard rub.

Uncovered a "neat" trick for marinating the pork butts. I trimmed them up, dropped them each into two gallon freezer bags. While in the bags I squirted in my mustard and smashed it around. Once done with that, I added my rub and massaged that in through the plastic.

Sure makes a heck of a lot smaller mess.

OK, some photos if anyone is interested.

Temps are stable and I'm ready to go.

One hour in and a quick mop.

Hour Two Mark. Oh boy was that meat therm there a waste of time. How do you insert it into ribs without hitting a bone?

Ready for foiling.. I know, that's not part of the BRITU plan on the home page, but there has been so much talk of the 3-2-1 method, that I decided to give it a go. Besides, I am wearing braces and the last time I did a chewier version of ribs I had to have them reset. I put a little apple juice in the foil. We'll see what happens when they come out.

Chet,

That sound like my typical weekend
icon_biggrin.gif

Even though I did multiple smokes per weekend I kept running out of stuff...like jerky which didn't make my better half very happy, so I got a second WSM...life is good

Chet, did you put some brown sugar on when you foiled them?
Brett, your wife approved of a seccond WSM. Life is Good.

No, I didn't add any brown sugar. I generally prefer a little less sweetness to the finish. There was a little turbinado sugar in the rub, though.

Finished. Sorry for the delay in posting, but I was busy eating. They were the best. Only the slightest tug released the meat from the bone. I don't know if it measures up to the competitors here, but it was the best I've ever had. I added a little KC Masterpiece sauce at the end.

Grilled asparagus and a tossed salad as sides. I am so stuffed. I ate almost an entire rack all by myself. Just like a kid with a box of candy.

Chet;
They look very enticing. I can see why you ate so much.

Another couple of questions. This sounds so dumb...but I have not been able to find 2 gal freezer bags, just one-gal bags. Where are you all buying them? Also, I read threads where people are getting pork butts from Sam's. Every time I go to Sam's they don't have any. Maybe I will have to try a different one, although I went by a different one a couple of months ago, and they had a 3 pound butt.

Ditto on the 2 gal bags
icon_smile.gif

Rodgers, Some of the Sam's Club's don't put the butts out, but they have them in the back ~ So is the case here in Niagara Falls, NY. Just ask, and you chould be able to get the twin packs or by the case.
icon_wink.gif

Ziplock makes 2-gallon storage bags, but I don't think I've ever seen freezer bags that size. I mean, think about it-- is there 2 gallons of something you'd want to freeze? If all you're doing is marinating in them, there would be no reason to pay a premium for freezer-worthy versions.

Re: Sam's butts. I was at Sam's today and they had them both boneless and bone-in, packed in styro trays. They receive them in cryovac two-to-a-pack, and will sell them that way, at a price cheaper than the bone-in singles on display. Typically, you're looking at around 15 lbs. of meat in COV. Maybe they're calling them "pork shoulder blade roast" instead of using the word "butt".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back