maple wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Are all the spices of maple good to use as smoke wood? I have access to Silver Maple. Is this a good wood to smoke with? Thanks for any help. ~ Jay

Jay,
Any smoking I have done so far has been with Red Maple. One large tree donated about half a cord of wood during an ice storm one year. Silver and Red maple are the two soft maples so I'm guessing that if the Red is ok the Silver maple would be fine to smoke with as well. Should also add that the wood I have been smoking with has been dried/aged about three years in the shed.

Anything I've smoked with this wood has tasted great. That sweet smoke taste with the ribs is IMHO a match that's hard to beat. (my apologies to the mesquite fans out there - but I'll bet there isn't a Mesquite tree within 2500 miles of here!!!)

John
No need to apologize to anyone who would use mesquite on ribs, that same person would probably be willing to live in Texas! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
LOL
Jim

Hey, Jim, or in Arizona. The trick is how to use mesquite. I reckon that's a Southwestern treasured secret, 'cause no one else seems to know how to cook with that d**n weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back