Maple smoke wood?

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
Looking to order some smoke wood off the internet. After some research, have decided to go with www.smokinlicious.com.
They offer cherry, ash, maple, and oak. I planned on getting the 3 wood box with some cherry, oak, and probably maple. There is no real info on maple or ash on the Smoke Wood section of this site. Maple just sounds like it would be good. I would assume a slightly sweet flavor.

Any thoughts on smoking with maple? Is ash better? What meats would go best with both?

Thanks for any info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Morris:
Any thoughts on smoking with maple? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Used it on a turkey once. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Definitely could tell maple was used. Was interesting, but don't think I'll use it again (on turkey, anyway). What else would it go with? Can't say.

Interesting timing on this post; we were just talking tonight about smoking the turkey this Thanksgiving and I was saying that I should buy some maple as I do a Maple and Jack Daniels brine for my turkey and I thought it would enhance the brine. Doug you're saying to stay away from maple for turkey?

I'm saying it wasn't subtle, and it detracted from the enjoyment of the turkey. Every bite smacked obviously of maple, over and above anything my flavor brine brought to the mix. Conversely, while I like when my pancake syrup overflows onto my breakfast sausage, the maple/turkey combo was a letdown.

I'm thinking the maple chunks with the Jack Daniels and Maple syrup brine may be just a bit much then. Maybe some Cherry and Pecan?

I like a cherry and apple combo for my turkey. The cherry provides a nice color too. Did a turkey breast 2 weeks ago and it was one of the best I've had.

I really like maple on ribs. I used BRITU and used several chunks of maple along with oak. You talk about good. Tasted like I poured a light coating of syrup on the ribs.

I haven't tried it on turkey and don't think I would. Going with Dougs analogy. If I were at breakfast with pancakes and syrup, turkey wouldn't even come near my plate.

Maple is also very good on Butts.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Maple is also very good on Butts.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah man! Sugar Maple is the best on butts!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Glad to see someone said maple was good on butts. I have 40+ lbs on the smoker right now using maple....I'll let you know how it turns out.
Enjoy the long weekend!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reinknecht D:
Glad to see someone said maple was good on butts. I have 40+ lbs on the smoker right now using maple....I'll let you know how it turns out.
Enjoy the long weekend! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dude, Your in for a treat. I can hear it now, "best Butts ever"
icon_biggrin.gif

Well, you guys that were cooking up some butts over Maple for the first time, what do you think?
Me, I'm hoping my big box of Maple wood shows up today.
icon_biggrin.gif

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. The wife had to promise the folks at work to bring in a container of leftovers tomorrow because of the "tastes" she gave away during lunch today. And that was microwaved leftovers.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Although I must confess I didn't use strictly maple (I only had one piece cut off the log I acquired). I also threw in a handful of apple chips.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Well, you guys that were cooking up some butts over Maple for the first time, what do you think?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I get home from work and there's 1 box on the porch and I say well that's not all the wood I ordered, box is too small. AH! sh#t I'll bet that's the Red Oak in the box. So I get out of my truck and walk up to the porch, the closer I'm getting the more I know that the Maple is not in the box. Look at the box and it's written in marker " Box 2 of 2" It's a sad day here.
icon_frown.gif
Well if it's not here by tomorrow when I get home from work, (the butts have to go on by 4:00PM to take to work in the AM) they will get the standard Pecan and Cherry smoke wood treatment.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
icon_smile.gif

they will get the standard Pecan and Cherry smoke wood treatment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Allen:
You say that like it's a bad thing.
icon_smile.gif

they will get the standard Pecan and Cherry smoke wood treatment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No but.... It's how I always do them. I was really was looking forward to a change. It's been so long since I used Maple for a smoke. The missing box of Maple was a NO show again today.
icon_frown.gif
I sent smokinlicious a email. Hopefully they can find it. 17.5 lbs of butts (2) are on the WSM with Head Country Rub, Rancher charcoal, 60% Pecan, 20% Cherry, 20% Oak. Time to make the beans up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan,

Have you ordered from smokinlucious before? I have ordered from nature's own in the past but when I checked as of yesterday their prices are about double what I paid last time and it looks like smokinlicious was a much better buy. I got the red oak, cherry, and maple, 25 lbs. of each.

Was just curious if your maple in the past had come from them. I'm pretty excited about the no bark chunks and what not. Plus I think their chunks will be a bit smaller, I had some big ones from natures own that would displace a lot of room when trying to bury them into the coals as well as hit up against the bottom of the water pan when trying to place them on top.

No hickory, apple, or pecan though.. oh well.

My order that originally started this thread has arrived. Ordered the 3 wood assortment from smokinlicious.com with sugar maple, oak, and cherry.

Everything went very well. Got a shipment confirmation email about 36 hours after I placed the order and it arrived in just a few days (delayed a day by the long weekend).

Wood looks great. No bark on initial exam and pieces are good uniform size.

Very happy with smokinlicious...now I just have to get cooking so I can use this wood and order more!

Back