Maple smoke wood?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremiah Sullivan:
Bryan,

Have you ordered from smokinlucious before? I have ordered from nature's own in the past but when I checked as of yesterday their prices are about double what I paid last time and it looks like smokinlicious was a much better buy. I got the red oak, cherry, and maple, 25 lbs. of each.

Was just curious if your maple in the past had come from them. I'm pretty excited about the no bark chunks and what not. Plus I think their chunks will be a bit smaller, I had some big ones from natures own that would displace a lot of room when trying to bury them into the coals as well as hit up against the bottom of the water pan when trying to place them on top.

No hickory, apple, or pecan though.. oh well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeremiah, First time oredering from them. The box of red oak I got looks really nice. Yeah it's a shame so few choices from them.
I used to buy all my wood from Natures own, very nice wood and a bunch of choices. The reason I ordered from smokinlucious is because Natures own's order site has been down for weeks.
icon_confused.gif

Bryan,

You can order from them via the telephone, although their prices are currently near 2x that of what smokinlucious is charging (when you consider shipping).

Did you find their chunk size adequate? For the most part I was happy, but there was some pieces that were a little too big.

I used maple for the first time today with Salmon. Not a long smoke, so I didn't get a lot of maple flavor in the meat, but it came out great.

The smell was a bit confusing to my BBQ brain though. Smelled like a great breakfast. Just didn't seem to fit coming out of a smoker, but now I'll be experimenting with longer smokes to get some flavors imparted!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremiah Sullivan:
Bryan,

You can order from them via the telephone, although their prices are currently near 2x that of what smokinlucious is charging (when you consider shipping).

Did you find their chunk size adequate? For the most part I was happy, but there was some pieces that were a little too big. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeremiah, I have a problem going to a web site to buy something and not being able to do that. Oredering via a phone is so 90's
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll say that the wood did run on the large size but I would just put the gigantor pieces in on a long cook or just split em once or twice with the hand axe. I liked their wood and if they ever get their site fixed, I need some more pecan.
Which wood is nicer, both are equal but i'll give the nod to smokinlicious because of the perfect size and no bark. That said, I never worried about bark or removed it though. Choice wise hands down Nature's own. Price goes to smokinlicious. Now if that lost box of Maple would just show up Id be really happy.

The pork butts smoke with the maple were out of this world. It took about 17 hrs to get to 190, but well worth it. Nice Bark and moist........I'm gonna enjoy working my way thru those cryovac bags in the freezer..
icon_biggrin.gif

Maple goes well with pork on a low and slow style of smoking/cooking (Memphis style). Try it with another type of smoke such as mesquite or if you prefer hickory. Personally I like the mixture of maple and mesquite as it seems to balance out one another.

Has anyone tried wood chunks from North Woods Smoke besides me? They sell oak, maple, alder, cherry, mesqite and other stuff as well. The prices are great.....$8.95/5lb bags and free shipping for an order of $25 or more. There chunks look like they come from a furniture manufacturer or something similar. Uniform cut pieces with no bark or blemishes. They work great for me and I haven't found anything as cheap! (nwsmoke.com)

Back