Manzanita wood

Bill Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey Folks, while up in Napa tasting (/drinking) some wine, I came across, and picked up, some manzanita wood. Anyone have any experience with it? I've got some Ribs waiting at home I'll give it a try on.

I know it's incredibly dense and hard to cut, and is popularly sold in 1-4 ft. long, 1-3" diameter lengths as pet bird perches, as it is nearly indestructable. I do actually know (make that knew) a man who spent time in federal prison for attempted murder using one of the larger parrot/macaw perches made out of it as a weapon. As to using it for cooking or smoking, I would guess once it's lit, it would burn very hot. As to its suitability for such endeavors (cooking or smoking, that is), I've never considered using it, but apparently it is sold as such:

http://www.gccreations.com/manzanita.htm

I bought 200 4-foot perches in Lodi, Calif a few years ago (we breed macaws, 'toos, greys and eclectus) and might have a dozen left--it takes the birds longer to chew it up but chew it up they do, especially the larger macaws.

Anyway, the pieces remaining after the birds have 'played' I burn. I have not used it for smokewood per se, but I haven't noticed any particular quality to it that would make me think to do so. Note though that by the time I burn it it is very dry and kind of old. Possibly it would be better--smoke-wise--if just allowed to season normally and then tried. It is very dense as Doug notes. Let us know how it goes.

Kevin,

You are the King, is there anything you don't have an expertise in?

I guess I will throw a piece in the Kettle after my next steak and see how it smells. If I don't like it I can just burn it the chiminea with one of the great wines I'm bringing home!

Holy Crap Batman, after reading my original posts, I clearly had too much wine!

As for the wood, you guys are right that is some hard stuff! As for the aroma, (ignore the wine snob, please) I think it has a wonderful bouquet, a cross between oak and mesquite, with a slight hint of hickory. I think that it will go excellent with a tri-tip (I believe that this weekends menu has just been updated to include a tri-tip. I feel sorry for you folks that struggle to find one!)

More later!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think that it will go excellent with a tri-tip (I believe that this weekends menu has just been updated to include a tri-tip. I feel sorry for you folks that struggle to find one!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!! Out here in Redlands they are readily available just about everywhere. Easier to find than brisket.

Back