Manteca Colorá

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
I sometimes take my pork butts out of the smoker early, put them on a tray, cover the top part with foil, and finish them in the oven. I've discovered that this method has a distinct advantage: it provides me with a delectable spread for my toast. It seems that the fat, as it is rendering, passes through the bark and picks up a spicy, smoky flavor that is "to die for."

Country folk around here (southern Spain) slather their toast with lard they've simmered with spices like garlic, oregano, cumin, and smoked paprika. The latter imbues the fat with the rich red color that gives the spread its name in the local dialect: manteca colorá (red lard).

I've never been too big on manteca colorá as I enjoy drenching my toasted rolls with virgen olive oil, a tasty and healthy alternative to butter. I simply cannot resist the pork butt fat, however. Next time you finish a butt in the oven, don't throw away that fat. Once it cools and hardens you'll have a delicious substitute for butter on your toast.

An excellent suggestion. While I, too, use olive oil on bread and toast I remember well eating manteca colorá while travelling and eating my way through Andalucia years ago. Man oh man, did I have some superb sausages on that trip!

Yeah, it's good stuff. Some versions have little pieces of meat in them. I think I'll dice up a little Mr. Brown next time and mix it in. That fat could also be used in refried beans.

Back