Manifold bracket nut and frame through cook box nut and bolt removal tips

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello fellow addicted ......
I just picked up a Genesis 310 I believe it is. It was sold because a father and son could not replace the burners due to the manifold nuts would not come off. I did the right thing and asked several times if they would just like me to replace the burners for them...but they declined so I picked up a mint condition grill for $80 with a set of brand new Weber burners to install. Now I usually do just fine w manifold nuts or wing nuts but I am assuming these are dis similar metal and they are fused if the father and son couldnt remove them. Whats your best method of attack if you are taking on this task. I was gunna hit it w some penetrating sauce then try a socket wrench and feel it out. If I feel like im going to snap the bolt I will stop and then try to jiggle it lose with an impact gun but gently :) .....

I have been known to break several of the bolts on the other side....the through frame/cook box bolt. Is there a trick for those that really works??? I think its just luck of the draw because those bolts are so hardened they cant take much stress.

does it have nuts like a 2007 with out wings on the manifold or are they screws like the winged manifold has what i do is penetrating oil and a power drill adjustable torque and a socket on it start low and hopefully they will come out. if not it will break just drill it out and use the bolts that go all the way through. its not fun but..... i hope this makes sense... good luck

After using the penatrating oil over the course of a day or two, try a 1/4" impact wrench. Let it start impacting slowly and that helps to break up the rust and corrosion without apply enough torque to twist the bolt off. Slooooowly increase power
Here is a video of me using the 1/4" impact on some of those slide rail screws on the bottom of cook boxes which are always frozen in place.
If they do wind up twisting off, then I think Patrick has the right approach. Just drill them out and use a bolt through with nut.

Yep, forgot to mention the impact. They're good at shaking things loose as well. Though me, in all the years I have been using them I still don't trust myself with them :D I still prefer twist a little bit one way than the other, a little more penetrating oil than a little more twist in and out and repeat until it comes out

Thanks guys....great vid Bruce.......I have the tools....I will get to this grill this weekend and report back. This is a nut not a wing nut so I am just dealing with hardened ss here.

Such a great forum..........everyone bickers and bitches on car and boat forums.....

Well, I can get cranky if you want me too. Anyway, the key to the impact is to take your time, let the impact do it is job and don't try to twist it off in 3 seconds or, given enough pressure it will twist the bolt off.

Good luck Jim, that's all I can say. I have jerked around with this
tedious project more times than I care to count. NEVER once
successfully removing them if they didn't come out on the first
try, I might ad. I say, break'em off, drill'em out, flip it and move
on to the next one.

Ha...yep....me too. You can just tell with a cook box bolt that things arent going to go well. Its not the easiest thing to drill out either. The metal has been heated and cooled so many times it will snap your cheapo drill bits in a hurry.

I know it is heresy to mention this, but I always attempt to pound them out if I have snapped them off. I have only cracked one cook box out of the dozens I have pounded on. But, that doesn't always work either. The trick is to drill it out down the exact center of the bolt. If you get off to one side and get outside the bolt radius is when you will start snapping drill bits by the pound. Use those centering bits to get the holes started.

Good luck Jim, that's all I can say. I have jerked around with this
tedious project more times than I care to count. NEVER once
successfully removing them if they didn't come out on the first
try, I might ad. I say, break'em off, drill'em out, flip it and move
on to the next one.
thats what i said :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back