Mangal Grill

Jim W

I've been trying some international BBQ recipes out of Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue and am considering building myself a mangal grill. Has anyone used one? I was thinking of building a box from fire brick since I'm not much of a metalworker. I sure would appreciate any ideas or tips.

Jim, the Israeli mangal looks a lot like the charcoal "goes anywhere" grill from Weber.

The best I can tell is Mangal is just another name for BBQ, not specifically a special type of BBQ. google - Mangal bbq

So, unless you want something to look special, I'd just grill directly on your one touch.

My goal is to have something that I can set wide Middle-Eastern style skewers across. I've tried a few different ways to put fire brick on my grill to hold the skewers up, but nothing has worked quite right. Ideally, the ends of the skewers would not be over any heat to make for easy turning. The contents of the skewers would be suspended over the heat source without a grill grate beneath.

My goal is to have something that I can set wide Middle-Eastern style skewers across. I've tried a few different ways to put fire brick on my grill to hold the skewers up, but nothing has worked quite right. Ideally, the ends of the skewers would not be over any heat to make for easy turning. The contents of the skewers would be suspended over the heat source without a grill grate beneath.

Hi Jim,

You have received some great advise already. Here is what I learned from how to set up a weber kettle for kabob cooks from my dad. Use steel iron tubes wrapped in aluminum foil across the top and bottom on the lip of the kettle bowl to support your wide kabob skewers. If you want to get real fancy (and this is absolutely not necessary - for a marginally higher direct heat is to put 2 fire bricks on top of the open kettle ash sweeper to raise the charcoal grate a bit closer to the skewers.By the way for camping I do have a go-anywhere weber charcoal grill that allows me to cook Kabobs.
I hope this helps.

So the goal is to do skewers without a grate and handles outside the fire.

Do you prefer over charcoal on the one touch or gas on the genesis silver?

I made an elevated metal frame to hold the skewers in place and to make turning easier.

P1050719_zpse6683cdd.jpg

Hi Jim,

Correct. For the life of me I cant find ANY of my actual photos of kabobs at work on my Weber Performer, but I quickly drew something on paper that I will post in a few minutes for a visual concept so to speak. 100% charcoal (any I prepfer Mesquite lump - it is easily available here).

Do you prefer over charcoal on the one touch or gas on the genesis silver?

I've tried both with unsatisfactory results. I want to cook my kabobs over charcoal and with all the ideas I've read here, I think my next attempt will be more successful. I like @Ali Mivehchi's idea about the iron pipes, but the elevated rack and the crazy folding grill look awesome, too!

I love that setup George. You must be pretty dedicated to cooking Kabobs.
Thanks Gary. Had I known there were commercially available kabob racks in different styles I would have not gone through the trouble of making one a while back. :)

Hi, if you have any grill already, It's better way to use Kabob Rack for cooking Shish Kabob ! I'm from Kazakhstan, originally. So, I know how to cook Shish Kabob. Just PM me, if you need some help with it ;-)

Back