"Manager's Special"

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
aka "Watch the sell-by date". I bought and cooked a brisket last week, and I noticed that the sell-by date was 8/23, so on 8/23 I stopped by to check and, sure enough, they had been reduced by about $2 a pound so I bought another one and put it in the freezer. Today I was in the store again, so I checked and found a rack of ribs marked down to half price, so it's in the freezer with the brisket. And literally as I was typing this post I got a text from my daughter that said my 7- year-old grandson "says he wants to try ribs, the kind all hooked together with the bones in them." So when the time comes he's going to help me rub them and put them on the smoker, then take them off (and eat them) when they are done.

Food Lion does this every week, lots of good deals to be had. As long as you cook or freeze them prior to the date, they are good to go. I cruise the aisles once in a while and stock the freezer up pretty well. Made out like a bandit a while back on flat iron steaks.

Food Lion does this every week, lots of good deals to be had. As long as you cook or freeze them prior to the date, they are good to go. I cruise the aisles once in a while and stock the freezer up pretty well. Made out like a bandit a while back on flat iron steaks.
Yes, this was Food Lion. I picked up a couple of butts on sale for 99 cents/lb a while back, and I always go by the meat department just in case. With the current trend in prices I'm sure a lot of people are doing the same thing.

Back