Making three racks NOW!

Phil L.

TVWBB Member
saw a big green egg at costco, was very tempted, but cooking surface was too small..

anyways, so i picked up three racks, swift, and they all had the membrane removed..

cut off all the thick ones on the end, and will save for wife to make something..

have three different rubs..

so i'm gonna see which one i like best..

john henry pecan, and john henry steak (the sales guy swears by it for ribs so i bought it)

and a local chain.. lucilles.. Kids like it..

threw them on the performer..

rubs

6816930042_2a6ff82435.jpg

6963051939_2b2beca83d_b.jpg

6816932996_4402cce40a_b.jpg

please let give me any tips that i might be doing wrong..

should the wood be more burnt before i start the process??

should i not use mustard?

6816931480_ab692169be_b.jpg

Just my .02 but I like your rig and setup. Looks like smoke is good. You might want to consider rolling your ribs instead of cutting the racks.

Looks like you will be having a fine meal. Curious how you like the stockyard on ribs. I like that rub a lot haven't tried it on ribs.

Smoke looks good. I start one little piece in my minion so that I have smoke before Ty coals light. You coals looki all grated over. How did the cook go. That is what is important. I enjoy using the kettle for small cooks too.

Should you use mustard? That is up to you. You don't need I for good BBQ, bu if you like what you get from it then by all means use it. Try It both aye and see, but rubs will stick without it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
Curious how you like the stockyard on ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

have not had it on ribs.. the guy at bbq galore said its great..

edit to previous post..

the stockyard steak tastes great on an unsauced rib..

here are the ribs 1.5 hours in.. the top one is really shiny, not burnt..

i drizzled with a stick of butter and some honey.. saw someone doing it, so i tried..

had to make a adjustment, used the rotisserie attachment due to the top not closing well.. dang rib rack is huge..

6817059642_fc1b846514_b.jpg

6963181217_09c5ae1c29_b.jpg

fingerling potatoes
6963216865_06fa407f02_z.jpg

and unforunately kinda makes this post pointless now but this was all that was left before i remembered to take a pic..

the best of the three was the lucilles one..

6817311570_4e3bbc477d_b.jpg

Looks great! Nice save with the rotis ring. But i guess you could put the rack ontop of the foil pan and skip the CI grate alltogether. 2 thumbs up for the ribs!

thanks for the tip.. i thought it had to be near the top for the best heat..

i will keep that in mind next time.. it will save me from cleaning the CI Grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Looks great! Nice save with the rotis ring. But i guess you could put the rack ontop of the foil pan and skip the CI grate alltogether. 2 thumbs up for the ribs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back