Making tallow any tips?

Seems to me you should start with smaller chunks, more surface area to render - or - maybe you can run it through the grinder like hamburger? That might save a lot of time I reckon, unless I am missing something...

Water, no water?
I used (too much) water so it may have taken longer than necessary. I poured the finished product through coffee filters (very very slow) and when it cooled, there was about a half inch of water trapped at the bottom. Not concerned at all as the tallow prevents any air getting at the water to cause spoilage. That was in quart jars.

I used (too much) water so it may have taken longer than necessary. I poured the finished product through coffee filters (very very slow) and when it cooled, there was about a half inch of water trapped at the bottom. Not concerned at all as the tallow prevents any air getting at the water to cause spoilage. That was in quart jars.
You may be surprised but that water trapped at the bottom may breed mold even with the fat on top. Watch it and if it starts, just empty in a pan, drain the water, scrape the bottom of the fat, and slow boil until only fat is left (large bubbles). Cool and put back into clean container. I store long term in freezer, shorter term in fridge. Vacuum sealing the glass containers also helps.

I don't go through lots of tallow so happy to cook up small batches on the stove top whenever trimming down beef.

Had a question though which is I see a lot of YouTube videos where they use wagyu tallow. I guess the question is what's the point? Is it just a marketing thing? My thought is if the advantage of wagyu is better marbling i.e. more fat there won't be much difference in a rendered fat product? Or does the breed and what fed improve the flavour of the tallow too? Never used it so would be interested in thoughts!

I don't go through lots of tallow so happy to cook up small batches on the stove top whenever trimming down beef.

Had a question though which is I see a lot of YouTube videos where they use wagyu tallow. I guess the question is what's the point? Is it just a marketing thing? My thought is if the advantage of wagyu is better marbling i.e. more fat there won't be much difference in a rendered fat product? Or does the breed and what fed improve the flavour of the tallow too? Never used it so would be interested in thoughts!
Good point / question. Since properly rendered fat does not have a taste I can't see it being more than marketing. But I could be wrong as it has happened before;-)

Back