making roast butternut squash soup: is it better to roast over coal vs in the electric oven?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I was thinking of roastingthe squash in the WSK, yet I'm not sure its worth it.

The weather is a bit wet and windy so it is a lot easier to push a few buttons on the electric hot box in the kitchen.

Anyone want to convince me roasting the squash over coal is worth it?

When I do roasted veggies for soups or stocks I prefer to rub them with EVOO and do an oven roast. Methinks using the WSK will add that Smokey flavor, if you want that in your soup. Idk how that’d taste. To me, smoke should enhance food, not announce food. I’d be concerned about too much smoke flavor in the soup. JMO.

I'm getting ready to make my turkey noodle soup with homemade noodles in another day or two, lots of big egg noodles and the dark meat from the turkey. It's my favorite soup that I make and nobody else in the house will even eat it. I'm going to give some to my grill handle making friend Mike who definitely appreciates it.

I have not done it but, that doesn’t mean you can’t! I’d go pretty light or the smoke may overpower the squash flavor.

I grill/smoke squash and we love the added flavor profile that it has over oven roasted. I do agree with Timothy that it is important to limit the amount of smoke and use some sort of fruit wood. Hickory and such would definitely over power the squash. Ultimately I like add that anyone can say inside and use the oven when the weather turns but a real grilled/smoker will take the weather as a challenge and find a way.

I'm getting ready to make my turkey noodle soup with homemade noodles in another day or two, lots of big egg noodles and the dark meat from the turkey. It's my favorite soup that I make and nobody else in the house will even eat it. I'm going to give some to my grill handle making friend Mike who definitely appreciates it.
Dagnabit, it's a hour until lunch, and I'm just plain drooling here. Where's my bib?

As far as smoking vs. roasting..... all depends on what flavors you want in your dish. Personally, I'd be all over a smoked butternut squash soup. Or @Steve Hoch turkey noodle. Some of the best stocks I've made were with bones from smoked bird. Or deep fried bird. Gotta love that deep dark flavor.

I'd try it over the grill! Probably at least 350 degrees without any wood chunks. The char should be great for flavor!

Back