Making ONLY burnt ends - where to buy just a point?

Dan Wicker

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking about making up some burnt ends as an appetizer this weekend, but I don't think I've ever seen just a point available. We don't really have any good butcher shops nearby that aren't outrageously priced.

What about a well-marbled ribeye steak or two? Cut into chunks, do you think those can suffice as burnt ends?

If you can't find a point, try boneless beef short ribs. Smoke them for 5 or six hours low and slow, then chunk them up and let them simmer in a bath of your favorite sauce another hour or so. Good eats! They may not be traditional burnt ends, but they work for me.

Originally posted by Dan Wicker:

What about a well-marbled ribeye steak or two? Cut into chunks, do you think those can suffice as burnt ends?
Well the texture will be wrong but if it were me, I'd use a nice fatty chuck roast about 1.5" thick. Cook it to death so it gets jerky like and proceed as if it were ends. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Dan Wicker:

Why use such an expensive piece for ends? Grill the rib eyes and have great steaks, IMO. I'd get something less costly, and like Bryan said, cook the heck out of it if you must. Or, grill the rib eyes with some mushrooms. Let the steaks rest a bit, then put a piece of rib eye and mushroom on toothpicks for an appetizer. The combination is tremendous

I also think you'd be best off just buying a whole packer. You could cure the flat for pastrami. I've got one going in my frig right now.

LOL... I need to just change my frame of mind or something.

I have a hard time justifying cooking a whole brisket because it's just my wife and myself. Maybe just a mental hump that I need to get over (I know it freezes well, but we're terrible about eating leftovers too).
icon_redface.gif

Thanks for the suggestions..

FYI commercial places that sell burnt ends like Arthur Bryant's in KC go so through so many they don't have enough points.

They cube pieces of the flat.

Back