Making my WSM 18" Airtight

Although I am a very green rookie with the WSM, I have been smoking for many years with a Char-Griller. On one the Char-Griller sites, I am amazed at what some lengths folks go to modifying this smoker to "seal" it. I used it out of the box and made great smoked products. Now, back to this post. If all parts of a WSM fit reasonably well, just go with it. This is such a beautiful unit, I cannot imagine putting any type of tape on it - duct or metal. If you believe you have Weber CM issues, contact them. Otherwise, leave this baby alone and hone your skills. Just some thoughts.

I have had, and kvetched about, issues with the WSM door. I've tried to fix it, but for a handyman, I'm a good philosophy professor. So, in order to avoid my temps from going out of control high, I have taken to duct taping the door. I have not had issues with melting, and it seems to me to have helped a great deal.

I know the WSM is not supposed to be air tight, and that makes sense to me. But if, for whatever reason, it's too open, then it can be hard to keep the temp in line.

Can anyone tell me if the 18" door from Cajun Bandit seals any better that the original equipment? My original door has always leaked in spite of minor bending adjustments.

I had similar temp control issues when I upgraded to a Guru PitMinder a few years back - mainly temp spikes due uncontrolled air flow (also known as "leaks").

I fixed it by getting aluminum tape and taping the door shut, because that's where the unit leaks. Using lump charcoal, I can typically go 14 hours @ 230 without a refuel, so I don't really need a door on mine.

My WSM wasn't out-of-round, so I didn't need to do anything at the bottom joint.

A wise suggestion I picked up here was to start with a very small amount of lit, and let the PitMinder bring it up gradually; it's much harder when you start too hot.

Enjoy the Stoker!

Whether you use the original door or the cajun bandit door there still will be leaks. Top left and right. At least that was my experience. A sure fire solution is buying a couple extra compression latches from south co latches, ebay or amazon and installing them so you have three going across the top. Also use some nomax seal tape around the door to secure a tight fit. My 22 inch wsm leaked like a faucet but now it seals like a vault. No smoke leakage anywhere.

Attachments

• 20200908_154504.jpg
    20200908_154504.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200908_154358.jpg
    20200908_154358.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
I specifically have an issue with long cooks as the longest I can sustain a reasonable low and slow cook is around 10 hrs with a full, tight ring.

full ring of RO lump tightly packed,

I think it may be inconsistent burning of lump.

So what happens when you use briquettes?

Lump (which I don't use myself) burns hotter, shorter and more inconsistently according to folks on here. And you can fit less charcoal into the WSM chamber due to the irregular size of lump.

I'd try standard KBB briquettes and see if that doesn't give you longer and more consistent burns.

Back