Make Lump

Mike Willsey

TVWBB Member
Sure SP, glad too share my experiences with making lump charcoal. It took me a few years to get it right. Maybe I can save someone else what can be a long learning curve!

First off, An open invitation for anyone visiting or living around my area. To participate in making a batch of lump! Just give me a holler!

Right now, the wood that I'm using is coming from an oak tree that I had cut down on my land. But to me the wood is not critical. As once it has turned into carbon, carbon is carbon, even if it came from pine 2x4's. The wood is split as you would standard fireplace wood and seasoned.

I have found the following technique to give me the best results. A drum in a drum, indirect. It gives the best quality lump, large pieces and consistent. Before, too much came out as thumb size.

OK, take a 55 gallon barrel, the kind with the removable lid, and another barrel that will fit inside of it, but still allow you to place the lid on both barrels. And so you can build a fire under and around the inner barrel. (I resorted to using a 20-gallon trash can for the inner drum.)

The 55 gal. drum needs to have an opening cut out of its lowest side, about the length of a keyboard and twice as high as a keyboard is wide. This is where you load wood under the inner barrel.

Support/raise the inner barrel with bricks stacked under the inner drum or run rebar through the outer drum, as high as it will go but keeping in mind that you'll want to be able to put the lid on the outer drum.

Take the inner drum and drill 6 holes about 3/8 inch big, equally around the perimeter of the inner drum about 1/4 the way down from the top, line the bottom of the inner barrel with brick the best you can.

Load up the inner drum, which is already placed inside the larger drum. As much wood as you can fit in packing as tightly as you can. Then place the lid on the inner drum.

Next, load kindling and trash logs/wood around and under the inner drum. Use what ever you have, even pine as the only important thing is that you get a hot fire going.

So, get your fire going, it will take about one hour of steadly adding wood under and thin sticks around the inner drum, to get a decent bed of coals under the small drum. (lid is off the big drum this whole time)

By this time you ought to be able to start seeing flames actually shooting out of the small drum! This is the gassing off of the wood loaded in the small drum as it "bakes".

You will continue to add wood, but at a much slower pace, under and around the small drum, just enough to keep the flames shooting out of the inner drum. Until finally you see them starting to die down, perhaps you'll see 3 out of the 6 holes lit up and the others have no flame. About 2 more hours.

At which point you place the lid on the outer drum, which helps retain as much heat as possible. Then you walk away from it and let it sit there until the next day where you will find your fresh lump ready to go. Probably enough to fill a 33 gallon trash can 1/3 of the way full.

I have some web links on my MSN group that have pictures of other folks making lump in a variety of ways.

I use a plastic 33 gallon trash can to store my lump in. Thats all folks!

Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/newwelcome.msnw

Mike,
I like to light a fire as much as the next guy so I understand how this is about more than money. However, can you comment on how cost effective making your own lump is? Seems like unless you have a free supply of wood to do all the burning it wouldn't be worth it for the average person.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Mike,
I like to light a fire as much as the next guy so I understand how this is about more than money. However, can you comment on how cost effective making your own lump is? Seems like unless you have a free supply of wood to do all the burning it wouldn't be worth it for the average person. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jerry,

It takes surprisingly little wood to fuel the burning process. I was surprised by how little it takes. Yes, I do have my own source of free wood, but another fellow goes scrap hunting for his wood.

He stops by any construction site that he sees and asks for all of their scrap 2x4's, 2x6, etc which he will use for loading into the inner drum. Even pine 2x4 can make good (carbon) lump. He will use plywood for the fuel source or whatever else he can salvage.

Now another example that I would imagine to be common regardless of location is business's giving away free wood pallets. Lots of these pallets/skids are constructed of oak, you just have to break them down to fit into the inner drum. Whatever chemical (if any) would burn off in the process of charring, but don't breath the fumes! (grin)

I tell ya this also, a lot of it is pride in having done it!

A 55 gallon barrel can easily go from free to $7 and a 20 gallon trash can about $20, you could also look around gas/service stations as they often have 30 gallon drums that they recieved oil in, which they might part with the promise of some free Q!

But you are right that if you have to buy seasoned firewood from a dealer you probably are going to pay extra. My estimate is you can expect is about 1/3 of the wood going to fuel the burn and the rest will be lump.

Because once you get a thick bed of coals, you can back way off on additional fuel/wood. Plus, once the gassing gets started, the flames form that add to the heat too!

My 20 gallon trash can give me 12 pounds of lump. You do the math, what does a 10 pound bag of lump cost? How much will you have to pay for firewood and how much firewood will you get. It just depends on where you live.

And you also must not mind investing 3 hours of your labor. I cook so much that it pays to do it myself. Plus its cool to tell people that you make your own charcoal!

Regards, Mike Willsey

Mike
I strongly suggest you don't use pallet material for cooking wood. The pallets are made of oak but you have no idea what kind of material was placed on them.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Mike
I strongly suggest you don't use pallet material for cooking wood. The pallets are made of oak but you have no idea what kind of material was placed on them.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jim,

I've heard others issue the same warnings. But take a different stance. In that anything that is heated so hot that it becomes carbon will have burned off all traces of any chemicals, if any.

I surely don't reccomend using raw pallet oak to add to coals for smoke as that would be risky! I did warn of possible chemicals in my post and advised not to breath the fumes of which I wouldn't recommend doing with natural wood either!

There probably would be a risk if the wood didn't completely turn to carbon! As a final warning to all, Do At Your Own Risk!

Glad you pointed it out though,it needed to be emphasized.

Regards Mike Willey

Back